1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Good Interview Weeder Questions

Hello,

I am experienced with a few programming languages, but not Visual Basic. I am currently trying to hire an intern to do some Visual Basic work, and I want to filter out applicants who are being too 'generous' on their resumes regarding their experience with Visual Basic.

My question for the experienced Visual Basic guys here - what questions can I ask that someone should be expected to answer correctly on the spot if they have even a moderate amount of Visual Basic experience? I'm looking for fair questions someone should be able to answer without hesitation if they have six months or more experience.

Thanks.

-John
  3. No Profile Picture

Look in this forum for some answered questions, get him/her to answer them and check against the answers?
  5. Recovering Intellectual
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Actually this mentality is unfair - do not ask him/her questions - come up with an intermediate to difficult task and sit him/her in front of a computer with the appropriate tools - give them internet access and then watch how they work. This will tell you everything you need to know.

Asking them to remember function calls or god forbid writing a solution out on *paper!!!* is a travesty. Even people with 10-20 years of experience choke on these types of interviews. Be fair to your interviewee and watch them work.
    Bugs that go away by themselves come back by themselves
    Beware - your loyalty will not be rewarded
  7. No Profile Picture

I'd prefer a face to face interview rather than an online one. A face to face one will let you check the confidence and genuinity of the candidate
  9. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Asking them to remember function calls or god forbid writing a solution out on *paper!!!* is a travesty. Even people with 10-20 years of experience choke on these types of interviews. Be fair to your interviewee and watch them work.
    I had an interview earlier in the week where he asked "how do you remove the last element in an array in PHP?" I answered "either array_shift or array_pop, I never remember which end is which, I'd check the manual real quick to be sure." He said "ohh, too bad." The answer is array_pop. He marked me wrong for saying "maybe this, I'd check." Having the manual memorized doesn't make you a good programmer. Solving problems does.

Comments on this post

• Matt1776 agrees : Thats a g-d shame. What a tool.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. No Profile Picture

I m not an advanced programmer but i have been using visual basic for some time now and the main thing i always have problems with is the conversions from Uni-code to Multi-Byte characters sets.

There's an option in VB to change between them but It does not work when you want to batch build your program for release and your application contains System function calls.

Asking them if they know the syntax for these conversions for variables and character strings is one question i would ask, but that's just me.
  13. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Why would anyone know the syntax for that off the top of their heads? That's the kind of question we were just complaining about. That's something you google when you need it because you only need it once or twice a year.

Comments on this post

• Matt1776 agrees
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo