1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

launching my app from an HTML link

AIM uses hyperlinks to automatically open an IM or add a buddy, and ive used other programs that do this also (always a link pointed to xxx:some_command)....

how is this done? im sure it requires my app to register its hyperlink extension or whatnot, but im not sure what exactly makes this tick...

basically im writing a game, and on my website i am putting downloadable content. I build a compress/export-decompress/import ability into the game for uploading/downloading this content but if someone clicks on the download link on the website i want it to auto-open the import/export app and do its work right then (just to save my users the time and hassle of unzipping the files and then finding the right dirctory and so forth)

any help is much appreciated
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hello kaos77, try out this. Create and exe of ur application and place it in the same root as ur website. now add this code to ur web page

<html>
    <head><title></title></head>
    <body>
    <a href="App.exe">A</A>
    </body>
    </htmL>

Now, after u click the link, it will ask if u want to save or open the applicatrion from its current position. Say open from current position and ur application will run.
  5. No Profile Picture

thanks, i already knew how to use that, but what im looking for is the way AIM makes their links work....if you click on a link that is like <a href="aim:addbuddy=johndoe">Add Me</a> then it will execute a procedure in your local running copy of AIM....i believe the links will also launch AIM if it isnt already running....there is another program i know (for UO emulators) that will do something similar.....

thanks for the reply
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hello kaos77,
    i dont use AIM so i dont know abt that but there is a bleak possibility that what u think r actual HTML links (<A></A>) maybe actually coded in vb?? what do ya say
  9. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

Actually, and I could be wrong here, but I think this is something that is localized to AOL and what thier browser does when it interprets those links. I could be wrong though.

Just my 2 cents...
  11. No Profile Picture

what im talking about them using is a normal html link, and it works in IE5+(i dont use netscape so not sure about it) browser not just aol stuff (i havent used aohell since i was 14 ) .....

the links are easy to make, i have thrown them together several times myself, no big deal, they are an html link with a special address put in it

ive also seen another program (UOGateway) that makes a link that says <a href="uog:xxxxxxxxx">Click</a> and when you click it the server identified by "xxxxxxxx" is added to your server list...

im assuming there is a way to register these shortcuts so that IE can process them, im just not sure how to go about doing that....
  13. No Profile Picture

ok ive got it now

just in case anyone wants to know how this is done:

in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT you need a new key (ill call it junk)

[HCR \ Junk]
    default="My testing Junk"
    URL Protocol = ""

[HCR \ Junk \Shell\Open\Command]
    default="C:\Program Files\Test\\myapp.exe"

then just let your app handle the command line arguments for starting

thanks for everyone's help
    Last edited by kaos77; June 29th, 2003 at 04:19 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo