1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Get pixel color using screen coordinates

Hello,
    I need to get the color of a pixel on the screen. I know the exact coordinates of the pixel on the screen but I can't seem to get GetPixel to work either in VB or the API. It seems that I am going to have to save a screenshot as an image and look at that, but that is really problematic because the IT people have us all on a virtual desktop and people don't have access to a C: drive, plus everyone has different drive letters; it's a real mess.

Can anyone think of a way around this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I wonder if the fact that it is a virtual desktop is affecting the API. It has been a few years but API used to work for me for this (whatever hack Dan Appleman had in his bible). Besides just the virtual machine, if there is any additional security burdenware which prevents screen captures this would affect your app. (This is pure speculation on my part mind you ..)
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    I wonder if the fact that it is a virtual desktop is affecting the API. It has been a few years but API used to work for me for this (whatever hack Dan Appleman had in his bible). Besides just the virtual machine, if there is any additional security burdenware which prevents screen captures this would affect your app. (This is pure speculation on my part mind you ..)
    Thanks for the reply medialint. I don't think there is any burdenware preventing a screen capture; I have Print Key and it works just fine.

Is there a way to use the API to GetPixel without a screen capture?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo