1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question PowerPoint + MIDI Controller = Quiz

Hi,

I have quiz already set up in PP. Furthermore I own a MIDI controller which I want to use to log answers in the quiz.
    There are four groups pushing different buttons according to the answer being A B C or D.
    I want to use VBA to show A B C or D in a textbox for each group in the quiz on every slide with a question.
    Using a midi translator will translate the MIDI notes to keys which then will be interpreted by VBA to post the corresponding Answer (A B C or D) in the textbox.

unfortunately I am quite new to VBA so I am asking you to help me. How can I use e.g the key "K" to show "A" in textbox1 on slide 3 ?

My current idea is sth like:

if "K" is pressed then
    print "A" in textbox1
    elseif "L" is pressed then
    print "B" in textbox1
    and so on ...

Can I easily assign 16 letters to print A B C or D in a textbox in PowerPoint ?

thanks in advance for helping
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by FloMoTion
    Hi,

I have quiz already set up in PP. Furthermore I own a MIDI controller which I want to use to log answers in the quiz.
    There are four groups pushing different buttons according to the answer being A B C or D.
    I want to use VBA to show A B C or D in a textbox for each group in the quiz on every slide with a question.
    Using a midi translator will translate the MIDI notes to keys which then will be interpreted by VBA to post the corresponding Answer (A B C or D) in the textbox.

unfortunately I am quite new to VBA so I am asking you to help me. How can I use e.g the key "K" to show "A" in textbox1 on slide 3 ?

My current idea is sth like:

if "K" is pressed then
    print "A" in textbox1
    elseif "L" is pressed then
    print "B" in textbox1
    and so on ...

Can I easily assign 16 letters to print A B C or D in a textbox in PowerPoint ?

thanks in advance for helping
    the idea about translating an input key into a value in a box is not uncommon... i am confused by the midi concept... are you going to use a midi channel for each team (1 instrument per team)

if you can identify the teams key presses then simple mapping as you have suggested will work fine, the only problem would be race conditions when the scanning of the keyboards denies teams the ability to truly buzz in first!

does that help

oh another option is if the teams answers are asc values then you can arithmetically transcribe the input keys by using consecutive key values and subtracting the offset... A=64 so the next set might start "E" thats +4 from A like wize asc("F")-4=the ascii of "B"
    Last edited by Incidentals; February 7th, 2014 at 04:03 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo