Thread: QBasic compiler

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

QBasic compiler

Hi I just started my programming classes and want to practice on my win xp 32 bit only compliers for QBasic I see are 16 bit any one know of a 32 bit?

Ty
  3. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Try the VB forum, I thought QBasic was interpreted not compiled, guess you learn something new everyday.

QBasic is handled over there AFAIK
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ok (hopefully moderater will trans it) But yes there is interpreted's and compiliers and i need the compilier

Becuase when using interper a few commands to day i learned in class did not work, plus teacher said we are using a QBasic Compilier. Also I have see both but like i said when i try compiler sure it dosnt work with xp 32 bit I tried differnt versions. but after i exstract it first time i was it its ok BUT second time so on have a error dealing with 16 bit (dosnt work if i make pc 16 bit). So um.. Ya ok Long story short i need a 32 bit QBasic Compilier

Ty
  7. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by Axweildr
    Try the VB forum, I thought QBasic was interpreted not compiled, guess you learn something new everyday.

QBasic is handled over there AFAIK
    We don't do QB. Well - I don't. Someone there might know. Yes, QBasic is interpreted but I believe you can also get a compiler just like the original MS/IBM BASIC.

QBasic <-> Visual Basic is kinda like saying "Perl and PHP are the same" with either statement being about as accurate as the other. Unless QBasic attained object orientation when I wasn't looking ;-)
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, but still I need a 32 bit compirler ill go post on vb forums
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

QBasic compiler :)

Any one know of a 32 BIT QBasic compiler?

Ty
  13. Type Cast Exception

Well, as I hinted in the Other Languages forum VB != QBasic. Have you looked at the several compilers found here? Also, 16 bit applications should run under a 32 bit O/S.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  15. Type Cast Exception

Since this was subsequently posted in VB I'm gonna close this to avoid having people double up effort. Follow up in this thread if anyone can help on this question.

Cheers

Tim

since I mod both forums I've merged the threads while leaving a redirect from your original post
    Last edited by medialint; September 6th, 2006 at 02:48 AM.
    medialint.com

17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ok I got it. It was a interperter, but there still are compirlers
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

there exist no 32 bit qbasic compilers. This goes back to the distinction between qbasic and quickbasic. QBasic was a free interpreter that came with all installs of dos. QuickBasic was a compiler that you could purchase from microsoft for about $90. QuickBasic would make 16bit .exe's you could run. Development for QuickBasic ended with DOS as VisualBasic for DOS was created and VB was further developed. Qbasic has been a dead language for 15 years or so, but that's what makes it so much fun.

There are other Basic compilers that claim close qbasic syntax, but none as far as I know have full qbasic compatibility. So the answer is you are pretty much out of luck.

Comments on this post

• Axweildr agrees : good answer, and one to remember ;)
    • puddinlover agrees : Thanks a lot for answering my question in depth :)
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok I see thank you (rep) Ya iam learning QBasic so i need interperter. Also does QBasic mean quick basic?

Also why must we(L00k below)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo