1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Reducing EXE size

I wrote a visual basic application that used some ado data access components. The distribution file size got a bit large (13 Mb).

Would a different (compiled) language like Borland Delphi or MS C# or C++ produce a smaller distribution file. I realize the .exe will be smaller with c++, and that the virtual machine dll (2Mb) will be unnecessary, but wouldn't C++ have to update all the system / data access files on the target machine as VB does. In particular MDAC_typ.exe is 8 Mb in size.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Overly white

If your going to be using MDAC services then you will need MDAC installed. This is regardless of the language.

Minimizing the size of your .exe does'nt really seem to be the issue here. In a situation like this I would have two packages setup for download (I'm assuming this is going to be downloaded) one with MDAC and one without. Also you could offer MDAC as a download all by its self. I'm not sure how many people will have MDAC setup on there system. Does it install with Microsoft office?
  5. No Profile Picture

I was using the VB6 package & deployement wizard. I swithed to MS Installer and MDAC_typ.exe is replaced with MDAC.msm. The package size dropped from 10 to 3 Mb. I wonder what those .msm files are? Does anyone know why they are so small?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo