Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Runtime Error '429' ActiveX Component Can't Create Object

Hi,

I have created an application which uses Excel as the front end and saves the data to a MS Access database, within this application are several stand alone reports which when opened up calls in data from the database and shows the data in charts and graphs etc. The users can select different timescales in which they want to view the data.

My problem is that all this was working fine until one day i go to open up one of the reports and the error Runtime Error 429 ActiveX Component can't Create Object. This has happened to all the reports and application, no changes have been made to suggest any obvious problems, also this only occurs on my machine if anyone else opens it up on there machine it works fine. Anyone with any ideas to this problem it would be most appreciative.

Cheers

Jay
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This error usually means a registered component isn't registered any more, or a newer version of a component superseded a previous version that your app is looking for.

You need to identify what code is causing the error.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. Inherits Programmer.Slacker
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

It's Doug G - Hi Doug G! wivell - are you creating an ActiveX in code, or in the designer? Try finding the ActiveX on your harddrive (.ocx file). Then use the fully qualified file name for xxxx in the following statement typed from "Run" on the start menu...
    Code:
    regsvr32 "xxxx.ocx"
    Then try to run it again.
    Fisherman

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." - A.Einstein
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Hey, Fisherman is back!
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. Inherits Programmer.Slacker

yeah - short hiatus. been learning lots of new stuff - C#, Oracle, Crystal, Perl, Java, EJB...blahblahblah. Not a lot of time to get online anymore. Wivell - did you get it worked out?
    Fisherman

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." - A.Einstein
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ive done a search for *.OCX files within Microsoft Office folder and done a regsvr32 "xxxx.OCX" on all of the OCX files, the message that kept coming up with all the OCX files was LoadLibrary("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office"xxxx.OCX") Failed - The specified module could not be found.

Is there anything else i can try because, or will it end up in re-building my machine as ive tried several re-installing office several times.
  13. Inherits Programmer.Slacker

what's the name of the ocx that you are trying to access. I'll see if there's some specific problem.
    Fisherman

15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What i did was searched the office folder and found a lot of ocx files, im unsure which one i was using so i tried registering them all, and the same message kept coming up. Here is a list of all the ocx files i tried registering.

MSCAL.OCX, OUACTRL.OCX, HTMLMARQ.OCX, HTMLMM.OCX, SNAPVIEW.OCX, ASFCHOP.OCX, EYEDOG.OCX, MSIAV.OCX, MSICDROM.OCX, MSIHWNFO.OCX, MSIOFF9.OCX, MSIOLERG.OCX, MSIPRINT.OCX, MSISYS.OCX, TXTVIEW.OCX, FPATL.OCX

Is that what you meant for me to do?
  17. Inherits Programmer.Slacker

not exactly. Those ocx files are already registered, or Office wouldn't work at all. Run the code in debug, step line-by-line until it breaks, then copy and paste the line that broke into this forum.
    Fisherman

19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Right okay, i've stepped through the code and the line that broke is Set wrkJet = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).
  21. Inherits Programmer.Slacker

are you using DAO objects to access the data?
    Fisherman

23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No im not using DAO objects
  25. Inherits Programmer.Slacker

Doug - do you have any ideas here?
    Fisherman

27. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Right okay, i've stepped through the code and the line that broke is Set wrkJet = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).
    This is a DAO object you're trying to create so you are using DAO, or at least trying to use DAO.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  29. Type Cast Exception

So maybe this could all be resolved by referencing:

Microsoft DAO 3.x Object Library
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo