#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    45

    Script blocking in WebBrowser


    I wrote a Web Browser application in VB6 using Microsoft's WebBrowser control. It is very closely tied to Internet Explorer, but getting rid of all the fluff in IE makes the application very responsive. There are 2 functions that I consider critical in a Web Browser. One is tabs (which I was able to get around), and the other is selective script blocking. Internet Explorer does not offer such a feature, and no one makes an add-on to perform that function.

    Prior to Version 7 of IE, you could stream the page data, modify it to suit, and then forward it to the HTML rendering agent. But current versions of IE do not appear to offer that function. Does anyone have any ideas as to how selective script blocking could be implemented?

    J.A. Coutts
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    14,453
    Rep Power
    4539
    Sorry I don't know, I haven't used the webbrowser control since back when VB6 was current, long before IE7.

    But happy new year! Hopefully someone who knows more will jump in here.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    45
    Originally Posted by Doug G
    Sorry I don't know, I haven't used the webbrowser control since back when VB6 was current, long before IE7.

    But happy new year! Hopefully someone who knows more will jump in here.
    Thank you Doug. And all the best in the New Year to you too.

    If I can't solve this problem, this new browser will be of little use to me. A piece of malware once rendered my computer useless by destroying the registration code with Microsoft. After I got the machine running again, I managed to trace the culprit to a script that loaded a Java Applet. I could trace where the applet came from, but not the web page where it originated. Since then I do not have Java enabled, and I block scripts from all sites except the ones I trust.

    J.A. Coutts

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo