1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Using Windows Authentication from iSeries to vb.basic.net 2010

Hello,
    I have created an application in visual basic.net 2010 using iSeries ODBC. Application works fine, but other users from different PC are unable to run the program due to user ID is invalid and password invalid. Error 2800. I am using file DSN below partial snap shot of the App. Config.
    <connectionStrings>
    <add name="SeminarUploadWindowsApplication.My.MySettings.ConnectionStringFileDSN"
    connectionString="Driver={iSeries Access ODBC Driver};system=S10B1163;dftpkglib=QGPL;languageid=ENU;pkg=QGPL/DEFAULT(IBM),2,0,1,0,512;qrystglmt=-1;libview=1;conntype=2"
    providerName="System.Data.Odbc" />
    </connectionStrings>

The connection string I am using doesn't seems to use Windows Authentication (below)
    Driver={iSeries Access ODBC Driver};system=S10B1163;dftpkglib=QGPL;languageid=ENU;pkg=QGPL/DEFAULT(IBM),2,0,1,0,512;qrystglmt=-1;libview=1;conntype=2

I have looked at various websites for string connection, but all with specified user ID and password.
    If anybody can give me the proper connection for Windows Authentication from iSeries I would appreciate the help. Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not having ever used iSeries ODBC drivers before, the following may or may not help. The fact that these drivers support both 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems complicates the issue somewhat. If the application is 32 bit, the 32 bit divers are automatically selected, and if the application is 64 bit, the 64 bit drivers are automatically selected. The way to check is to examine the registry entries for ODBC. System DSN's for 32 bit systems are located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI, whereas User DSN's for 32 bit systems are located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI.

For 64 bit systems, 64 bit DSN's are located in the same place as above, but 32 bit applications will find these entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ODBC\ODBC.INI\ and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ODBC\ODBC.INI\. System DSN's can only be updated if the user is logged in as an Adminstrator, and of course User DSN's are only accessible to the appropriate logged in user. I have never used password protected Access files before, but there is provision for a default login/password for each DSN.

Hope this helps.

J.A. Coutts
  5. No Profile Picture

Using

J.A.

Thanks for the reply, I do need to look further, because I have 32 bit application using 64 bit operating system. I have to research this more. Thanks again.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You might want to have a look at the code listed below regarding 32 bit ODBC on 64 bit systems. It is written in VB6, and I don't know if it can be converted to vb.net or not. I have not had a lot of success at converting some of my more technical programs.

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=74519&lngWId=1&txtForceRefresh=982012146354855

J.A. Coutts

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo