1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

VB6 and Firebird odbc

Hi Guys

Newbie on this forum. and with firebird...
    Can anyone shed any light on why I have a problem with odbc firebird driver It works perfectly on the development laptop.

Compile the vb6 project and install the exe on other PC's on the network and it will not work at all. As soon as we try and make a connection by opening a recordset (that all works perfectly on the dev PC) it errors.

Tried using an ODBC connection to an Access database and link the firebird database tables within that. Same results fine on dev pc blows up on every other one.

Even tried using OLEDB (ADO) and again same results works fine on dev pc not on others.

All PC's are using same "Firebird/Interbase(r) driver" ver 1.02.00.69 IBPhoenix Inc 21/1/2008

tried copying .dll from dev pc and registering it on others... no change

If anyone has experienced this any chance of a pointer or two??

Cheers

Alan
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Erm, do the other machines have access to the same \\network\path as the dev machine?
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    Erm, do the other machines have access to the same \\network\path as the dev machine?
    Thanks for replying.

Yep All PC's are mapped to same network location on Q: drive!!

Was getting to the stage of looking at Microsoft side... latest mdac for vb6 is installed on dev laptop (2.8?). When I Used ADO/OLEDB and looked at the connection in the immediate window, it looks like the Firebird driver/dll is embedded within a bit of microsoft stuff!!(for want of a better description!!) Connection string showed something like "msasql.1(blah blah (connection string as passed in by me.....)" sorry for being so vague not on site at the mo so can't view the connection details

In the same app I've got ODBC connections running to Sage Line 100 and MSAccess (which is a database that has linked tables to another Firebird Database!!) rather convoiluted I know its just grown that way over the years.... Not time to re-write it yet though!!

Would appreciate your thoughts on it

Thanks
  7. Not much of a contributor
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

When in doubt double check you connection string in
    http://www.connectionstrings.com/firebird

Also try deploying VB6 SP5 Runtime Redistribution Pack to one workstation and see if it works.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo