Thread: Vb6-help

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Vb6-help

hi all i am new to programming i am after making gui could someone tell me if vb6 is good for a new starter and making gui??? thank you
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You may have problems running VB6 created exe's on newer versions of windows. I'm not sure if the vb6 runtime is included with, say windows 7 or 8

Otherwise vb6 is a pretty easy way to get familiar with making a gui, but just keep in mind you are learning on an obsolete program that doesn't take advantage of the NEt framework.

I'd recommend using a modern programming IDE. I believe Microsoft has a free starter version of Visual Studio, and you could then use C#
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Doug G is correct; VB6 is an obsolete language. So why is it still the most popular language? VB.net is what they call "managed code". As long as the high level routines have been made available, it is easy to implement but rather inflexible. At the other end of the scale is "C/C++/C#". Very flexible, but highly cryptic and difficult to work with for the casual programmer.

VB6 fits in between. It has a very easy User Interface, and as long as you are willing to dig a little for the "COM" information, there is virtually nothing you can't do. The exception to that is threading, which VB6 does not do very well.

J.A. Coutts
  7. No Profile Picture

thank you to both of you i think i may give c# a try see if i get on with it or not.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo