1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

VB6 + MS ACCESS project installation under multiuser LAN

We have developed a vb6 + MS access 2003 project for our client. Reports have been developed using crystal report x1. Currently project is installed as a network share under LAN. There will about 4-5 users accessing this project. All users have windows xp professional OS. We have kept both vb6 exe and ms access mdb file in a netwotk shared folder. All users has shortcut to this vb6 exe on their m/c. So this is not a client/server scenario.

We have currently put all sql queries in our vb6 coding only so access db has only tables.

What is right approach to install this project under multi user Lan. Is splitting MS ACCESS DB in front end and back end is right approach ? i.e. putting front end db and vb6 exe on each user m/c and back end db (having only tables) under network share.

OR

Does SYSTEM DSN / File DSN can help in creating such client/server kind of setup? If so how db path gets resolved from each client exe?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Don't use access for the database is my recommendation. There are many dbms that operate over networks, such as sql server, mysql, etc.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I don't often disagree with Doug, but on this one occasion I would add a few more qualifiers. If you have direct access to the server, and you feel confident in maintaining an MS-SQL database, then that is the correct solution. If however you are trying to maintain this system remotely, then Access is the better solution.

I maintained several Travel Agency Automation Systems remotely, where the software was installed on each machine, and the Access Database was maintained on a server at the larger installations (maximum of about 15 PCs), and one of the workstations at the smaller installations. The size of the program made placing it on the server prohibitive. Access is not the optimal solution for large networks because it does not provide true Record Locking. Instead, it uses Block Locking which can spread across more than one record. It would have been difficult for me to maintain an SQL database remotely, but with an Access database, I could download the database, repair it, and send it back with minimal down time. I could also keep backup copies of the databases, which came in very handy one time when another supplier accidently disabled the backup routine and the database became corrupted beyond repair

J.A. Coutts
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Well, I don't often disagree with couttsj either

But I disagree that an access dbms backend is easier to maintain. Maintaining remote properly network connected dbms systems like mssql, mysql is much easier than maintaining remote access dbms. First, there are many, many administration tools available for remote db's, where Access itself pretty much the only option to maintain .mdb's.

I created a multi-user vb6 system using split db Access some years ago, maybe 10 workstations tops, but ongoing maintenance and program updates took considerably more effort than an equivalent size system I did using vb6 and mssql backend.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo