1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

[VBA] Getting Your Macro "Digitally Signed"

I've just started tinkering with VBA (out of sheer boredom at work), and I noticed a little warning that popped up when I start Excel saying that my macros had been disabled because they were not "digitally signed".

Just out of curiosity, how do you get them digitally signed.
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Is this a corporate install of excel and what version? I haven't seen this ... seems like it might be an enterprise control layer. Normally you get a prompt to enable macros or not, that's normal.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  7. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Google turned this up.
    That explains how you can but doesn't say that you must. It answers the question but I'm still curious about the message. I have Excel 2003 and still see the normal Enable/Disable prompt, even when getting documents from outside the company that have macros. I presume it's an installation option or setting (admin?) you need to set to require macros to be signed?

If anyone knows about that part I'm still curious :-)

Cheers

-- edit I googled this which describes it in reference to security policy. I just never saw an installation where it was turned on to require it. As I assumed though ..

For example, if your company's security policy requires digital signatures, you might automatically disable macros that aren't signed. That way, only macros created within your user community and by legitimate software companies will run.
    Last edited by medialint; April 7th, 2006 at 02:33 AM.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

If you open security dialog you choose security level (menu: tools/macro/security...). If you don't want to choose low level security you can sign it with the selfcert.exe. It is an office tool.

If the macros are in a template the template path is secure and you don't need the signing.

I don't have the english version of excel so the menuitems could be wrong translated.

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees : That's it: Tools > Macro > Security ...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo