1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Visual Basic 6.0 vs VBA

Hi,

I have been using VBA for developing a few systems in my company for some time.Now, my boss asked me to move on to use Visual Basic 6.0 for system development.

And for a month that I've been using Visual Basic 6.0 I still cannot figure out what makes Visual Basic 6.0 different from VBA. Of course the sintaks are slightly different but the features are the same, infact I find it eassier programming in VBA than Visual basic 6.0.

Can anybody tells me the differences and what makes Visual Basic 6.0 a more powerful tool than VBA?
  3. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

Basically there are several bits of functionality added into VB that VBA does not have. Unfortunately I can't name examples right off hand because I rarely use VBA, but typically each time I do I find myself writing a function that already exists in VB so I can accomplish the same thing with VBA. Another advantage is that you can compile and distribute the application without the need for someone to have office or part of office on thier computer to run it, which means less license cost for the company.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The real differences are the supported object models. VBA is tied to a controlling application program, where VB is a stand-alone environment. Most of the functions, datatypes, etc are similar, but you won't find a VB form object in say an Access VBA code segment, the form object will be an Access form instead.
  7. /(bb|[^b]{2})/

I found a good example of missing functionality with VBA that is in VB.
    The Split() function which VB has. Used to split text up according to a set of specific characters. VBA doesn't have this and I have had to write it before.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo