1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Visual Studio ( Visual Basic ) guidance please

Hi
    As a newbie to the forum, please accept my apologies if this in the wrong place. ( and apologies if this a long post )

I operate a consultancy service ( construction ) and wish to monitor what has been done and what is left to do on a number of projects. Until recently I have managed this via a series of Excel spread sheets, summarising various data on the "front" sheet. That was fine until I am now running some 25 or more projects, the Excel system is getting a little messy - and having secured the instructions from clients that will be increasing my work load numbers significantly, I am seeking to use a more suitable solution.

The tasks for each project wil vary and some are charged on a lump sum basis whilst others are on an Hourly + expenses rate.

At present I can click on the Excel page for each job and see what needs to be done, when various documents were received and when our response / action was completed

I can also see on my summary sheet, how much ( fees ) are currently unearned and how much is compeleted and to be invoiced.

I have visions of incorporating my sales ledger into the system too ( in time - I know I need to crawl before I sprint )

I have some experience of VB programming ( though I am struggling some of the new features and different ways of doing things since my last programming session )

Now first of all, do you agree that what I am seeking to do is possible ? Has anyone already written a programme for this ? ( or similar that could be adapted )

any constructive comments would be appreciated please

My main issue at present is trying to get a database to work ( it's different from the early VB version I had on cardbaord floppies ) I am assuing that this is the best way to populate Comboboxes etc when selecting a project to edit / record ? So any pointers to Youtube or similar would be appreciated please

many thanks for reading this far ( not sure I could have )
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You should look at something like quickbooks premier with a contractor version. It probably will do everything you want and more, and you won't have to develop and debug code.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi Doug

Thanks for your response

I am actually using quickbooks for my accounts now -- even that is very complex for my accounts ( about 10 or so invoices in a month and between 8 to 15 outgoing invoices )

As far as I am aware though, Quickbooks does not provide a way of monitoring what jobs are left to be done on each project and a record of when documents were recieved and a task was competed.

Looks like writing and debugging is what I may have to do ( if and when I find the time )

Once again, thanks for your reply and suggestion, truly appreciated

David
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Are you using old vb6? If you are using vb.net I can't help, I don't use NET stuff and don't know how you hook NET to a database, sorry. But there should be plenty of help to be found on the internet.

I just mentioned quickbooks as a possibility, there are many project management/customer management apps available both free and non-free. In general I'd ask around with others in your industry and see if there are any commonly-used premade apps. In general if you can get most of your functionality in an existing package you'll be way better off.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture

Msp

Have a look at Microsoft Project, it is pretty much designed to do what you are trying to. Also there are a number of cheaper rip-offs which might do what you want, but definitely a Project Managers tool, not an accountants tools (which quickbooks and excel both are)
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks Guys

Thanks Doug & GGiggs

I will look at that - apologies for delay in response ( Father in law just passed away - wife taking it badly )

Catch you later

David
    Last edited by davidhicks; April 8th, 2013 at 04:48 AM. Reason: spelling

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo