1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CRITICAL Need help ASAP

I have an application developed and fully tested as successful and operational. Today, however, I run the application and when it pulls up a query it gives me the error message "Undefined function 'Left' in expression." This happens in both query's in which I use the left function. I have made no intentional changes (no changes at all that I am aware of). I have checked an earlier version stored in a different directory and it works fine (I cannot use the earlier version as too many changes have taken place). This application is scheduled to go live tomorrow. I need some very quick help please!!!!!!
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Maybe you need not to rush things live.

Sounds like you are missing some references.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture

There are no references missing. It worked up to and including this morning and the previous version in which the query's are identical still works. Unfortunately, I must work on finding a solution before recommending putting off going live. Too much is riding on this.

The query is accessing an ODBC table for information. The only difference that I can come up with is when I have run it in the past and including this morning it was on my PC and on PC's within my specific office. This morning, Access 2000 and the link for the ODBC tables were set up on PC's in another building. The problems began when running it in the other building and have now carried over to my building.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

I have an application developed and fully tested as successful and operational.
    Apparently not as tested as you'd like
    This application is scheduled to go live tomorrow
    Today is tomorrow so you must be having an interesting day.
    I need some very quick help please!!!!!!
    Then don't use CAPS in your title, and post enough details that someone might be able to help you. Like what version of VB and some code.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  9. No Profile Picture

Are all that people do here is criticize others who come here seeking help? Look at that, all of the replies were absolutely no help at all. I realize that the question didn't have any code posted with it, but could you try not sounding like a know-it-all asshole? Just help the man.

Comments on this post

• Doug G disagrees : Pfui.
  11. Type Cast Exception

I see that your response itself provided clear and concise help. If you care to examine my post history you'll see that the quality of my advice generally correlates to the specificity and clarity of the question/problem itself.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  13. No Profile Picture

Medialint: Your advice to me in the past has been helpful and from what I have seen of other posts from you your knowledge has been benificial to others as well. As always, I appreciate whatever help you can offer.

Doug G.: I just don't know HOW people would ever get along without your obvious wisdom and thoughtfulness towards peoples issues. Sorry my post didn't quite stand up to your requirements but I suppose not everyone can be as perfect you would like. Do me a favor in the future, don't read or help with my posts.

Starminds: I appreciate the back up.

Overall I have used this forum a few times and have found solutions directly and indirectly from its content. I will continue to use it (unless the moderator can dish out the smart *** comments but can't take them and chooses to have me tossed) and hopefully benefit from the knowledge of the group.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Do me a favor in the future, don't read or help with my posts.
    It will be my extreme pleasure
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have had this problem before in my applications and it has to do with references i believe...for some reason visual basic sometimes will not recognize the Left function even if it recognizes the Right function...same reference as well...so it appeared my references were correct but it still didnt work...so what i had to do was for each of my left calls i would just prefix them with VBA.Left(blahblah) and it worked

...so i hope that helps and hope you still read from this site...those people who reply with worthless info are far inbetween
  19. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

Thank you. I hadn't thought of using an explicit reference like that. I'll give it a try.

I will continue reading here. There is only one who gives useless info that I have found so far.
  21. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by Tainter
    I have had this problem before in my applications and it has to do with references i believe...for some reason visual basic sometimes will not recognize the Left function even if it recognizes the Right function...same reference as well...so it appeared my references were correct but it still didnt work...so what i had to do was for each of my left calls i would just prefix them with VBA.Left(blahblah) and it worked
    Possibly. Is that how you resolved that? Good to know. Sometimes if you have something going on that is also declaring a function, sub or property named left then it will get confused. For that matter, if you had a variable named left it can throw things off.

You can do this In Excel, Access and VB5/6:
    Code:
    Sub Left()
        MsgBox Left("Hello, World", 3)
    End Sub
    And you can do this:
    Code:
    Sub Something()
        Dim Left As String
        Left = "Hello, World"
        MsgBox Left
    End Sub
    But you can't do this:
    Code:
    Sub Something()
        Dim Left As String
        MsgBox Left("Hello, World", 3)
    End Sub
    But you can do this in Excel:
    Code:
    Sub Left()
        Dim Left As String
        Left = "Hello, World"
        MsgBox VBA.Left(Left, 3)
    End Sub
    Interesting, no? Good point.

Originally Posted by mmischke
    Thank you. I hadn't thought of using an explicit reference like that. I'll give it a try. I will continue reading here.
    Hope it works for you. I think what Doug was trying to get at is, well the subject title really isn't very good. It's counter-productive to put "asap critical" in large caps actually. "Undefined Function in Left error" would be much, much better. Not only does it help people decipher what the thread entails before clicking through it helps others that later search and find these pages from search engines. You can imagine if the thread list was filled with nothing but "Help!!" and "This doesn't work what's wrong" and "Urgent! Critical help needed" for the entire page the forum's value would greatly diminish. That's kind of why this link is stickied at the top of every forum. No one is paid for their time and are generally trying to be helpful, I've seen lots of great advice from Doug, including lots of stuff I never knew or in some impressively diverse areas of expertise. You'd actually likely find a typical reaction from any number of similar forums if you posted the same message elsewhere to be honest. But now that everyone is on the same page I think we're all doing ok then, no? Great.

Cheers.
    medialint.com

23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeah that worked for me with a project I was working on...But if you could find the exact reference to just include in the project it would more beneficial. Im not sure if you used a direct reference if it would work on every workstation...mine did but I was only using it on 10 workstations. I've noticed in VB6 the compiler doesnt recognize the Left function but will recognize the Right function, and Mid function...so alternatively if for some reason you couldn't get the Left function to compile you could use the Mid function ..... Mid(yourString,1,8) to Replace the Left(yourString,8) function...

In my version of VB6 I have 6 difference references for "Visual Basic for Applications" so Im guessing maybe one of them actually still compiles the Left function.
  25. Type Cast Exception

The six different references to VBA are probably why you have a problem with Left in the first place which is native to VB6
    medialint.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo