1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Excel Enhanced Linking

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
    I need someone helping me with advanced Linking in EXCEL. Skills in VBA seem to be appropriate, Excel knowledge is important. Here the job: We have a list in Excel. We want the list to link to 2 different types of images (thumbnail and full size image). Since Excel provides only simple Linking I need someone creating complex links with javascript (for open sized windows i.e.)

Detailled info.
    The list contains items which are fotographed ina studio. The studio secretary now updates the list with status (in progess, material unavailable, finished) and link the items (sometimes more than one) to the appropriate image. now the excel page is uploaded to the web and and a customer should be able to view the images.
    I need a smooth and easy way to link in EXCEL to the images, create a html page with a CLOSE WINDOW and the thumbnail/fullsize image in it.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You can use VBA forms to link the images.
    i.e. Have a dialog come up prompting for the location of the thumb and the full size image.
    Then upon submission, set the values of the excel cells to the values retrieved from the dialog. Use the following code to get a file to open from the user.

Code:
    Sub File_Selection()
    'This procedure opens the "Open File" Dialog
        On Error GoTo ErrHandler
          Dim FileToOpen
          FileToOpen = Application.GetOpenFilename("Images, *.jpg")
          Range(YourRange).value = FileToOpen

Exit Sub

ErrHandler:
        HandleError (Err)
    End Sub
    I'm pretty sure you can also invoke the Save As Web function from within VBA as well.

Does this help?
    How can I soar like an eagle when
    I'm flying with turkey's?
  5. No Profile Picture

Good idea. How about the Javascript Linking

Yeah - that seems a good idea. Thanks!
    Does anyone knows something about enhanced linking in Excel (Javascript, Popupwindow?)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I got the following from MS Excel Help (searching on Java), it may point you in the right direction.

About creating and modifying Web scripts
    You can add Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) or JavaScript to Microsoft Excel data to be used on a Web page by using the Insert Script command (which you must add to the menu) and the Microsoft Script Editor command (Tools menu, Macro submenu).

What scripting is used for Scripting is useful for custom Web-based solutions development. It provides a full object model for the Web browser and the objects on the current page. This makes it possible to write code that manipulates elements on the page without having to know the details of the underlying HTML or how the objects are implemented. You can also create script code that is specifically designed to handle events that occur on objects (such as ActiveX controls) on your page. For information about using scripts to handle object events, refer to Microsoft Script Editor Help.

Using Microsoft Office WebBot Components WebBots are web script (JavaScript or VBScript) applets that can be embedded in Office9 documents that use Dynamic HTML (DHTML) script to create an interactive Web page. Learn about WebBots.

Viewing scripts and HTML code If you want to view the HTML code along with any script code for your data or Web page, you can open the Microsoft Script Editor. In the Script Editor, you can add text, modify HTML tags, and modify script code. You can also view your data as it would appear in a Web browser and modify it in this view.

hope this helps
    How can I soar like an eagle when
    I'm flying with turkey's?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo