1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Change Published Project Install Directory

I am trying to change the default installation directory of my projects when I publish them, I can change the location to publish to but I seem to have no choice over where the published setup.exe actually puts the program, it usually ends up in a directory like the below:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\94AY7RYC.XH4\AQ08EPTM.G5Z\semt..tion_0ca3ba092103ec96_0001.0001_1f0a55976f96 c9dc

Also though not as important, is there anyway of outputing the published project as an MSI rather than a setup.exe and a folderof insallation files? I have seen a couple of suggestions for this but all required additional programs to have to be purchased first.

Any ideas

Many thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

where else would you want it?

Originally Posted by Spudgun01
    I am trying to change the default installation directory of my projects when I publish them, I can change the location to publish to but I seem to have no choice over where the published setup.exe actually puts the program, it usually ends up in a directory like the below:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\94AY7RYC.XH4\AQ08EPTM.G5Z\semt..tion_0ca3ba092103ec96_0001.0001_1f0a55976f96 c9dc

Also though not as important, is there anyway of outputing the published project as an MSI rather than a setup.exe and a folderof insallation files? I have seen a couple of suggestions for this but all required additional programs to have to be purchased first.

Any ideas

Many thanks
    where else do you want it?

it looks to be a program fro a user stored in their personal and perhaps private folder (user control and all that)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In the most logical place

Preferably I would want it installed under Program Files which seems to me to be the most logical place for a program to be installed, all the people who will be using this will be Technicians on their own computers and when I provide revisions to the program I want to make it as easy as possible for them to update the program or the associated INI file.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What version of VB? Years ago I used the free Visual Studio Installer for VB6 projects and you can specify all the install directories when you create a .msi of your project.

The VSI was a free download from Microsoft (probably still is).
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I did not reiceve the notifucation email of your post.

I use Visual Studio 2010 for my programming
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Sorry, I don't know about installer packages for VS2010. There should be some mechanism to control the application install directory in the installer building program.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  13. No Profile Picture

This is exactly what I'm trying to solve - did you get a solutions.

Cheers,
    Dennis,

Any ideas

Many thanks
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Unfortunatly no I never did, I just worked out that if I make the directory I publish to be under Program Files then use a directory off of that to store my INI files and associated programs and files that my program needs to access that way I have some level of control over the program
  17. No Profile Picture

did you look here

Originally Posted by DennisMac
    This is exactly what I'm trying to solve - did you get a solutions.

Cheers,
    Dennis,
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/206sadcd.aspx
  19. No Profile Picture

did you look here

Unfortunatly no I never did, I just worked out that if I make the directory I publish to be under Program Files then use a directory off of that to store my INI files and associated programs and files that my program needs to access that way I have some level of control over the program
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/206sadcd.aspx

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo