1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Binary to Decimal or vise versa

I know how to use during decimaltobinary and binarytodecimal function on vb 2010,but i cant figure out the way to output without using vb 2010 function

can anyone send me code on how to create a code for converting binary to decimal and decimal to binary without using vb function please.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Why wouldn't you want to use the built-in conversion function in your vb project?
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Why wouldn't you want to use the built-in conversion function in your vb project?
    because it says on my paper not to use built in function.
    can you please tell me if its possible to convert Binary to decimal and decimal to binary without built in fuction and how?
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Of course it's possible but since it's already done for us we wouldn't bother. Obviously this is intended as an exercise for you to work out. I'd probably look at a C function that does this and convert it to VB.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by joyride123
    I know how to use during decimaltobinary and binarytodecimal function on vb 2010,but i cant figure out the way to output without using vb 2010 function

can anyone send me code on how to create a code for converting binary to decimal and decimal to binary without using vb function please.
    One must assume that you are talking whole numbers here. All numbers are stored in the computer as binary numbers, but each type of number (short integer, long integer, single precision, double precision etc) has it's own storage methodology. So assuming we are dealing with a 16 bit integer:
    Private Sub cmdConvert_Click()
    Dim N%
    Dim Number As Long
    Dim sBinary As String
    Number = Val(Text1.Text)
    sBinary = String(16, "0")
    Do Until N% > 15
    If Number And 2 ^ N% Then
    Mid$(sBinary, 16 - N%, 1) = "1"
    End If
    N% = N% + 1
    Loop
    Text2.Text = sBinary
    End Sub
    The form would have 2 text boxes and 1 command button. Since most languages don't deal directly with binary numbers, we have to represent it as a binary string. Conversion back would just be the reverse.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo