Thread: Barcode

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Barcode

Hi, do anyone knows where can I get the algorithm of code 39 barcode decoding from image?
    Since I am using the webcam to capture the image, and using Dev C++ or visual basic (i will generate the .dll file so that it can then be controlled by the LabView) to decode it. Can anyone sends me the coding algorithm ,examples or any references to me?
    I am quite frustrated to decode the barcode. And I am running out of time now since I only left 2 and 1/2 weeks to cope with my project.
    Thanks a lots~~~
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'd recommend getting an existing barcode library for your VB project. I suspect it will be major work to take a barcode image and write the code to decode it correctly.

I think you'll have to find out the particulars about code39, etc, from some barcode standards site. I don't know where to look.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

This is easy. Just put "barcode tool for VB.NET" in Google. I believe you can find some useful info.
  7. No Profile Picture

To build your own implementation of the algorithm, you will need to look up the barcode standards. However, there are many articles on developer forums that has demos that implement this kind of barcode algorithm that you can use.
    For examples, refere to codeproject and stackoverflow

We went with another option, which was using a commercial implementation because these usually are more stable and accurate. We used a library called leadtools to generate and read barcodes.

In any case if you want to implement the algorithm yourself, it will take a good amount of time and most likely delay the release of your application.

Hope this helps and goodluck.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo