1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Alternate to Visual Basic?

Hello guys,

// Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong column

I've learnt JAVA and Visual Basic and I'm currently learning Python. I love programming in Visual-Basic but there are a few disadvantages of this language, besides many other things: It is a slow programming language, its only for windows applications (duh!), Its GUI sucks! (looks like windows 98 or something of 1999 ) and its outdated! ( ). So I'd like to know if there is an Alternative to VB, (though my friends recommended me VB.NET at first but I thought it'll be tough and its syntax was pretty different), Something as easy as VB but fast and powerful (and of course good looking!).

Thanks for your help!
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

I have heard good things about learning Python; maybe you should give that some more time to learn.

What do you mean with "fast and powerful"? fast in runtime? development?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up

MrFrujin said:
    I have heard good things about learning Python; maybe you should give that some more time to learn.

What do you mean with "fast and powerful"? fast in runtime? development?
    What I'm saying is that Visual-Basic is slow in runtime and though it comes with many features but its not powerful, almost no support for object-oriented programming and depending too much on the Windows API. So I need a language that is powerful like VB.NET but also easy to learn(like python, vb6).

After searching for 'easy-to-learn Programming-Languages', I've come up with the idea that RUBY will be a good option.

BTW, I've only started programming in Python and It'll take time to brush up my skills.
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If VB is comfortable but you want to work toward something that is more in demand try C#. If you want to do web apps asp.net + C# is widely used (that's what I do for a living myself these days).
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by medialint
    If VB is comfortable but you want to work toward something that is more in demand try C#. If you want to do web apps asp.net + C# is widely used (that's what I do for a living myself these days).
    Thanks for the tip. I'll look forward to that...
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Though VB has almost no support for OOP but there are some predefined classes in VB, though they can't be extended, but they can be used to write codes like an OOP, its a semi-object oriented language. So if your project needs some OOP like functions such as lang classes, it'll do but for objects and packages (like java) there is no place in VB. So Microsoft discontinued VB6 and instead created VB.NET which was a successor to the old version. But the BIG drawback was that it didn't contain back-support for VB6 (that's why I don't like it). But yes removing VB6 from its Visual-Studio was a good idea as it has many problems:

Versioning problems associated with various runtime DLLs. Visual Basic programs required runtime dlls whether it was compiled into a P-CODE or not.

Almost no support for Object-Oriented programming, as mentioned above it was the main problem of VB6, as VB6 was actually created after a series of old VB versions (VB1, VB3, VB4) and some older versions were created at the time when DOS was still in use! and at that time no one gave a sh*t about OOP, so there was no OOP support in VB and this problem was carried onto VB3, then VB4 and after that it came to VB6.

Too much dependency on Windows API, it could not created multi-threaded applications without resorting to API calls.

And on the on the top of it, it could not create Windows Services! OK I get that it could not use OOP but not Windows Services, this was a major drawback.

And the worst of all, it is no longer supported by Microsoft!!

So Microsoft thought that its best to close the curtain of traditional Visual Basic forever and this marked the sad end of a fantastic language.

I'll recommend all the programmers who still use Visual-Basic to find an alternate programming language (I'm not saying that leave it like sh*t). There are many reasons to do so, first of all because you'll have difficulty distributing your application as it depends heavily on runtime DLLs and fragile COM Entries and several features that VB6 uses are no longer supported by the Windows. Though its still a very good language but for the beginners I'll recommend Python, Perl or JAVA as these languages will give you a good concept of the OOP (VB6 was a procedural language not an OOP).

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo