1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Beginner VB Question

Id like to start of by saying that this is my first post on this site. I have a small amount of programming knowledge, I took a VB class in highschool but that was 2002-2003 and obviously ive forgotten a lot and a lot has changed since then. I work for a growing company that while their workload in networth definitely warrant it, they have not jumped into the technology world... Instead of having a nice system to track things most things are still done by manually taking inventories and calculations with pen and paper... Since I have started here 2 years ago as the purchasing guy I have pushed the use of spreadsheets and formulas to help aid in tracking items. I even went as far as activating the developer tab and doing some VB work behind the scenes in Excel to help the spreadsheets be more automated. I quickly realized though that there are a lot of quarks with using VB in excel and while it works it isnt always the fastest and the less complicated the better. I finally decided it was time to take the jump and attempt to build a system for the company to help track inventories, calculate needs, track waste, handle receiving logs and a few other things to help track the companies productivity.

Before deciding to jump right back into VB I read up on the "which language to start with" posts because I noticed that after I downloaded the VB community 2015 software that it also covers C++, C#, and F# to see if one of those languages might be better but VB seems to be what I should be using. I want to design a simple and easy to understand GUI which VB is great at and the second part is really where my long drawn out question lays. I want to have a database for this program. I want to be able to sit it on our server so that any computer that has my program on can pull from and add to the same information as the others. (Example, shipping/receiving enters information on their computer, Billing Dept. should be able to view shipping logs). This is where I have practually no knowledge... Is this as simple as having an excel sheet and VB would be able to read and write to it, or would I need to make an actual database somehow with a different language? Is it fairly simple to have my VB program reach out to that file and pull information and write to it, or is this going to be an "expert level" type program that will be tough for me to pull off without a ton of knowledge?

Thanks for any tips or pointers you can give me, if there is something you think I should read into, id love to hear about it!
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

I think you should purchase a system. It will be more functional than what you can write on your own, will have fewer bugs, and save your company money because you're considering becoming an 80% time programmer rather than attending to your job. Inventory is handled with bar codes and scanners these days.

In other words, find a few systems that meet 90% of the needs determined by an initial meeting, review the systems, and offer them as choices to your management. Along with the choices you can offer yourself as a programmer to write a custom system.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by b49P23TIvg
    I think you should purchase a system. It will be more functional than what you can write on your own, will have fewer bugs, and save your company money because you're considering becoming an 80% time programmer rather than attending to your job. Inventory is handled with bar codes and scanners these days.

In other words, find a few systems that meet 90% of the needs determined by an initial meeting, review the systems, and offer them as choices to your management. Along with the choices you can offer yourself as a programmer to write a custom system.
    They will not purchase a system, that is the whole point of me trying to put something together on my own, because if I dont we will have nothing. I planned on keeping things simple and then building it up to something bigger overtime. I do purchasing here, so I have downtime to work on it when new orders arnt coming in.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

or is this going to be an "expert level" type program that will be tough for me to pull off without a ton of knowledge?
    I think yes. A multiuser networked inventory control system is a very major programming effort.

Before deciding on a language, you need to design your application. For example, if you plan to use browser clients and support mobile device access, you'll probably be setting up a web-based application. VB would not be the best choice in such an environment.

You'll need to consider what database system you'll be using. Access/Excel and other file-based db systems are not well suited to multiuser sharing, you'll want a full dbms like sql server, oracle, mysql, etc.

Don't forget to cosider and build in access security into your app so you don't end up being one of those news stories about data breaches.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo