1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Problems with Aesthetics in Software Engineering?

I am doing a research paper on problems with Aesthetics in Software Engineering...I am having trouble finding a big problem that has been researched and what is being done to fix it!...I have searched on the web and read a lot. Thank you for helping! Few ideas I was thinking about is that a lot of people are making programs that have great user interface but under it there is a mess of coding! Not sure!! Any other ideas!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm not really sure what you mean by aesthetics in this case. I can tell you though that most software is a lot messier on the code side than on the interface side, and nothing is being done to change that because of economics.

Everyone can see the interface side and generally speaking everyone can see the difference between a terrible interface and an OK one. Only a programmer sees the code side and only a programmer can understand it. Therefore, the resources dedicated to making the interface pretty are much greater than the resources dedicated to making the code pretty; particularly because resources (ie money) is not usually controlled by the programmers.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank You!

Thank you for responding!

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    I'm not really sure what you mean by aesthetics in this case. I can tell you though that most software is a lot messier on the code side than on the interface side, and nothing is being done to change that because of economics.

Everyone can see the interface side and generally speaking everyone can see the difference between a terrible interface and an OK one. Only a programmer sees the code side and only a programmer can understand it. Therefore, the resources dedicated to making the interface pretty are much greater than the resources dedicated to making the code pretty; particularly because resources (ie money) is not usually controlled by the programmers.
  7. No Profile Picture

I m agree...
    User Interface should look clean and clear. It should be attract the users and not confuse them with its messyness.. And onthe back end, it is complicated for normal users but not for developers. Developers understand the coding languages easily.....
  9. No Profile Picture

Software engineering is software, not artwork. User interface is artwork, not software engineering. Engineers don't draw pictures and artists don't design software.

Each person or group is responsible for its work, bit not for the other's work.
  11. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Thread moved to Web Design.

This isn't the perfect place for this discussion, but it's more accurate than Software Design (which has to do with patterns, archtiecture, UML, etc).

Thanks everyone.

- Doc,
    Devshed Moderator
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo