1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Did I make a bad decision with this WYSIWYG editor?

I was offered an opportunity to build a website for a business recently and I've been working on it for a while. I have zero experience with coding and my area of expertise is basic computer troubleshooting and repair but this was going to open a door for me so I jumped on it.

In the process of trying to find something that would allow me to build a site completely visually I found this affordable little editor called LMSOFT Web Creator. It works well for what I needed as I'm only building an informational website.

Has anyone had any experience with this program? How did it turn out for you? For making a static website it worked well for me but it is starting to feel very restrictive and I'm starting to feel like I made a huge mistake.

Since I'm asking about this program I may as well toss in that I've run into two issues and I'm wondering if anyone knows a way out.

I already have a topic open for this issue here on devshed but I'm not really understanding or getting it. First problem is this program won't let me create a contact form that doesn't send the emails through their servers (and the site upload process is automated) and I've been searching constantly to find some code for a contact form that works through the browser with a file upload option or someone that can explain to me how to upload a php script folder for a contact form after the fact and where to (since I can have an object with custom code in it).

This program allows me to place a box and put HTML or java code in it and the code will function but since I'm so dense when it comes to uploading a website (since I've never done it) and coding I don't know if I can plug in the code for the form and then upload the PHP script folder later and be sure that it functions with this WYSIWYG editor. Or if there is some code I can place that will allow that contact form to work just through the website without a PHP script folder. There's just too many questions I have about it to do it when this contact form is for a functioning business and I haven't found anyone that knows enough to sit and answer them.

The second issue; does anyone know if it is possible to convert this programs proprietary files to something I can edit in another editor? The website is completely done except for the contact form so if I could find a way to convert the page files (which are in a proprietary "LMSOFT file" form) to a regular web editor form I maybe could figure out how to do it in something else.

Sorry for being so wordy. Thanks for any tips about dealing with this program or the contact form issue. Really I'm just stressing really hard about this website and I was really glad to find this forum so I wanted to see if there were some solutions here
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

FYI, I have added an reply to the linked thread in OP with example of how the code is with the program.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for checking that out. I'm guessing based on what you said it's a pretty sloppy program.

I guess I just have to hope to find a way to plug in some HTML code that will send emails without needing something outside the program (I read somewhere there's a function for just sending the email through the browser instead of with a PHP script but I may not have understood it right)

The business owner has an online shop already that I won't be doing anything to so, if all else fails, I will have to link the contact page to the contact page on the shop site but that is just very unprofessional on my part.
  7. No Profile Picture

I just did something very interesting. I will make a copy of this post for my other topic in case it helps me.

I have been running a local server to test sites made with prestashop, wordpress, and other open source stuff and I just used the web upload function on LMSOFT Web Creator to upload the site to my local server.

All the files were converted to HTML, CSS, and Jscript files on the server.

Do you think I could take this new folder and use something like Microsoft Web Expression (or something some of you recommend that can access these files) to edit a contact form in?

Or can I get the code for the contact form, put it in, and upload the PHP part separately? (If I do this part I really need someone to tell me where to put the PHP script)

I spent a couple hours on this (getting permissions set and other problems) and I thought it worked well enough that if anyone ever came across this thread maybe they would be interested in the fact that the files are converted upon upload

EDIT: it opened right up in web expression. Now I just need to figure out how to get a nice looking contact form with file upload and have someone tell me where the PHP script folder goes.

So glad I was able to test the upload process
  9. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

What happens to the edited file if you later make change in the LMSOFT create and do a new upload?
    My guess your manual edits will be lost.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by MrFujin
    What happens to the edited file if you later make change in the LMSOFT create and do a new upload?
    My guess your manual edits will be lost.
    Probably but I'm willing to redo the process each time.

Make updates to website, upload to xampp (local server), copy files, add the contact form all over again, then upload to host server.

Once I get the process down I don't see it taking up too much of my time. The upload to xampp took less than 30 seconds and then I can go straight from there to opening in Expression (or equivalent program) and make sure the contact form is functional.

Guess I would just be stuck double dipping each time. I can live with the extra legwork on my part if I end up with a functioning website for the big guy.
  13. No Profile Picture

Just wanted to post and offer a bit of closure in my two topics.

We already know I can open and edit the website in Web Expression after uploading to XAMPP (as if I was uploading the site to the internet) and make any edits and changes I need.

From there I coded a contact form (I had to ditch the file upload because the php code required for it is way over my head) and created a php script to call on to send the mail.

One of my biggest issues was knowing where to put the php script file and no one said it was as simple as just putting it in the root folder for the site so that's taken care of.

Once I put it all on XAMPP everything worked perfect and the php script didn't throw an exception. I did not receive any emails but in my research I found someone asking about the same thing and they were told that their code will work fine once uploaded but that XAMPP can't send emails.

So once I upload the site I'll give the contact form a quick test and check it out. I'm confident but if it doesn't work I'll just have to go the unprofessional route and link to their other site's contact form.

Figuring out how to convert the proprietary files to something I can open and edit in Web Expression was a great find also. It really made this easier. I honestly don't even want to disclose how many hours I spent trying to figure this form out. It makes me feel stupid lol.

Thanks to all that tried to help and I'll be around if anyone wants to offer any tips or anything.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo