1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Becoming a good designer?

When I see certain websites I have to ask myself “how did they come up with that?” This is in reference to the actual design (the graphical aspect) and not the functionality. I find this aspect of web development the most tedious part because you try something and it looks bad and then you have to try again. I find that it takes longer than the actual coding.

How can I improve that aspect of my work, instead of having to rely on a graphics designer to create the look of the site for me? Are there any tutorials/books out there that teach you the actual design aspect of things?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The creative aspect of graphic design is pretty hard to teach someone I think; some people are naturally born with that ability and others are not. If you don't have the natural ability, which I think applies to most programmers, the best way that I've found is to look at work done by creative people and pull bits and pieces of their work into your design.

There are some aspects that can be taught, like color theory, and for that I suggest looking more at generic art resources or print-design resources than web design resources as resources labeled for web design tend to be focused more on the coding than the design.

If you're stuck on a more technical aspect of it, there are tutorials that explain how to build basic components of a modern design - for example, textured backgrounds or certain button styles. You can find dozens of photoshop tutorials explaining how to build these types of components (it's actually usually pretty easy).

Also, a suggestion from far out in left field, but acid/lsd might increase creativity.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

try to combine reading tutorials (there are a lot of them on the Net) and practical solving some related issues - it will be much better than just reading a lot.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have this issue too. I have a hard time thinking of a catchy idea, but i am also like that for writing... SO how do you get out of a writer's block? You write and write then it will click. Same thing for graphic design. Just draw something simple then before you know, it will turn out to something magical!
  9. No Profile Picture

I've had issues with this for a while. It has taken me hours for each picture I've done for the website I'm building (the business owner didn't give me any pics to work with or content. I've had to learn the business and build from scratch) and I've had to redo and edit them many many times.

As for the layout that is a little easier than using photoshop or GIMP and hoping a pic comes out looking nice and original. I was directed to a few websites in the same industry and at the same level of the business I am designing for and I was able to take some inspiration from that.

I'm very amateur when it comes to web design but the best advice I can give someone when it comes to graphic and web design is to take inspiration from something. Every time I just sat and thought about what I wanted to do I didn't get much accomplished but the more I was visually stimulated by looking around the web the more I was gradually able to develop the direction I wanted to go with it and still have something original.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you want to good designer then solve online tutorials. There are several website on the web where you can learn several interesting stuff. tutsplus.com is one of the best website to learn creative things. Hence you can improve your skill by just solving tutorials.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo