1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Blogs - good on a website?

Hello,

It struck me that perhaps I should set up a blog on our website.

But I wonder if it really would be a good idea, since I am not sure how the blog would be related to the main website. Can anyone please advise?

The main function of the blog would be to allow for more user interactivity, draw more visitors to the site and stimulate backlinking to the site (through adding possibilities such as user-commenting, facebook shares/likes, RSS feeds, interaction with other bloggers etc.).

My principal concern regarding a blog is that our principal content will always be placed on the main website, not the blog. So if we use a blog, wouldn't that mean that we need to duplicate and maintain articles in separate blog posts, and wouldn't that imply a lot more work as well as a potential risk of confusing our visitors?

In our case, we are a business selling quality loose-leaf teas in Peru. We want our site to appear among the top Google results for relevant tea-related searches done inside Peru (e.g. if someone searches for "green tea Peru" etc.). Over the next few months we plan to fill our website with a whole lot of interesting, informative and unique content related to our products and to the world of tea generally, and I will also carry out a thorough SEO process (keyword research, on-page SEO, off-page SEO).

Not knowing much about blogs, here would be my general ideas regarding the blog.
    - The blog will be placed as a subdomain on the site (i.e. at blog.ourwebsite.com).
    - It will be incorporated within the overall navigational structure of the site, as one more main section of the site (i.e. parallell to sections such as "products", "about us", "contact" etc.).
    - We would presumably use Wordpress as our blog platform (if recomendable and easy to incorporate in the site - or is there a better option?).

Well, I'd be grateful for any feedback.

Thomas
    Last edited by tcjohans; April 27th, 2012 at 05:26 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

The relevant question for you to answer is, if you have content for your blog.

A blog with relevant keywords and regular updates of related information, which includes links to your products, might be worthwhile. If you can't produce enough relevant content, your blog will hurt more, than bring you any gain.

If you're just duplicating your product information in a blog, you won't see any advantages from having the blog. Your main motivation for the blog seems to be customer interaction. So, ask yourself the question, when you would recommend a blog about interesting consumer products to other people. If you cannot imagine any content in your blog, you'd recommend, your customers probably will not do so as well.

Regards, Jens
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JClasen

A blog with relevant keywords and regular updates of related information, which includes links to your products, might be worthwhile. If you can't produce enough relevant content, your blog will hurt more, than bring you any gain.

If you're just duplicating your product information in a blog, you won't see any advantages from having the blog. Your main motivation for the blog seems to be customer interaction. So, ask yourself the question, when you would recommend a blog about interesting consumer products to other people. If you cannot imagine any content in your blog, you'd recommend, your customers probably will not do so as well.

Regards, Jens

Hello Jens, thank you for your feedback.

In this case my answer is that we will most likely have a lot of interesting content to put on the blog. We will add information about new specific products, new articles about various issues in the tea world (tea production methods etc.), as well as news and reviews of other tea sites etc.

The main "problem" is that most, if not all, of this information would ALSO have its own specific webpage on the main website. I guess this means that the blog would mostly be used as some sort of supplementary "attention-making" tool, putting people's attention to new sections and developments within our overall project as well as to interesting web resources.

For instance:
    - We might create a new informative webpage on some particular issue or a new resource on the site and could then write a blog page telling people about the new webpage.
    - We might launch a local event and could tell people about the event on the blog (besides posting a real webpage article about it).
    - We might want to use the blog to put people's attention to some interesting link we found on the web (e.g. a youtube video, an interesting blog or website, etc.)

So, would this make sense for a blog? (I have never used a blog before.)

While the blog would not be our primary tool for publishing information - as the website would be the main holder of contents -, it would, I imagine, have a supplementary role as an "attention-making" tool of this sort, putting people's attention to new content on our website, new events and projects of ours, new resources on the internet, etc. (Does that make sense? Can blogs help to put attention to things in a way that regular webpages cannot?)

Also, I imagine that having a blog of this sort would enable us to reach out and create better interactivity through built-in blogging functionalities (e.g. for RSS feeds, user comments, ability to share pages through Facebook etc.), although we will probably build in such functionalities on the main site as well over time.

I get the impression that most people use blogs as their _primary_ site, and that's a little bit why I am becoming uncertain about the whole idea, since we would only be using the blog as a supplementary tool to the website. (Is there any example of a commercial website that succeeds doing that in a nice way?)
    Last edited by tcjohans; April 27th, 2012 at 07:17 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There's not a big point in a blog that just duplicates content from your main site.

If your blog entries just link to the page with the real content then (a) they won't rank highly in search engines and (b) people will skip right through the page without using any of the interactive features that you expect them to.

If your blog entries duplicate the full content from your main site you may be penalized by search engines for having duplicate content and you're likely to confuse visitors because they'll expect there to be some differences between the information on the different pages.

If you have real, unique and interesting content to put on a blog then they do make sense to have as a supplemental part of a website. If you don't, then they don't.

Comments on this post

• terriwells agrees
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Is there any website that uses blog as well?

Hmm, can anyone suggest any commercial website that uses a blog as well (besides the website)?

I would like to see if there is anyone who succeeds doing that in a sensible, efficient and successful way.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

A lot of major corporations have blogs on their websites:
    IBM
    Microsoft

A lot of major E-Commerce sites have blogs too:
    Newegg
    Zappos

Some companies have blogs for specific people at the company, like the CEO (although it's unlikely that the person actually writes the content themselves):
    Godaddy

And a lot of sites that started as blogs have added stores.
    PHP FAQ

Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    A lot of major corporations have blogs on their websites:
    IBM
    Microsoft

A lot of major E-Commerce sites have blogs too:
    Newegg
    Zappos

Some companies have blogs for specific people at the company, like the CEO (although it's unlikely that the person actually writes the content themselves):
    Godaddy

And a lot of sites that started as blogs have added stores.
    Thank you! The blog at Newegg looks interesting and gives me some ideas of how we could use a blog in a naturally supplementary way without simply duplicating contents.

My only qualification would be that they've implemented the blog as a separate site (separate from their e-commerce site), while I would like to implement our blog more "seamlessly" as one more section inside our site. I.e. more along the lines of http://blogs.zappos.com/, where the blog is incorporated into the site's standard web page structure, maintaining the same header, main navigation etc.

What blogging CMS would be suitable for producing something looking and functioning like the blog at http://blog.newegg.com/ while allowing for the blog to be incorporated "seamlessly" in a larger site?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

WordPress is pretty much the go-to solution for blogging. Unless you're rebuilding your entire site, it's not going to be any more difficult to integrate WordPress into an existing site than it would be any other blogging solution.

The blog at Newegg uses WordPress. The blog at Zappos doesn't, it uses Drupal, but you should avoid Drupal, especially for something as simple as a blog.
    PHP FAQ

17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by tcjohans
    It struck me that perhaps I should set up a blog on our website.

But I wonder if it really would be a good idea, since I am not sure how the blog would be related to the main website. Can anyone please advise?
    I say go for it. Having a blog gives you plenty of advantages: adds more pages on your website, communicates to your readers in a more personal level, engages them more, and many other things that can be of great help to the growth of your website and readership. You don't have to write great content all the time, though that can be very helpful, but just some daily updates and news related to your business. Cheers!
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by JClasen

Regards, Jens
    Yes, Blog is the platform to distribute your updated information online and I am definite appreciated this information.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

don't add all your blog to the main page.. make some news section of the blog on your page OR just give a simple button on the page for your blog.. and update your blog with new article everyday (minimum 1)..
    Last edited by dhussey111; August 18th, 2012 at 06:38 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture

I want an easy to use easy to make but still good quality blogging website. I already have one. and mabey one that will post some pictures either in a picture, like, area, or on the actual place where people read.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo