1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Building a site easily managed by a newbie

I am currently a student in a web developer program. I have built a couple sites in the past for friends and they always seem to have a hard time updating certain things on there own.

So my question is how do you guys set up sites for the average person to easily change something like a paragraph on the home page without having the chance of messing everything up.

my idea was to break down the pages into parts and just use php to include the parts into a site that way when lets say they wanted to change just the one paragraph they could open up a page called home.html which would look just like this
    Code:
    <body>
    <p class="normaltext">THIS IS THE PARAGRAPH TO CHANGE
    </p>
    </body>
    instead of them opening a home page that has everything in it already like the head, title, banner, right or left column, and footer.

I hope that makes sense to someone other than just me.
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What you propose would probably be better than what you imply you have used before. However, I would suggest that you look into using a CMS (content management system).

http://php.opensourcecms.com/
    http://www.cmsmatrix.org/
    http://www.noupe.com/php/choosing-cms-tips.html

P.S. I find a class name of "normaltext" to be mildly disturbing.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture

I would definately suggest using a Content Management System. Examples are Wordpress and Drupal.

If a client will be updating their website, you want them to have absolutely no chance of being able to change any of the HTML / CSS / PHP, etc. A CMS will do this for you - they will only be allowed to change the CONTENT.
  7. No Profile Picture

Use simple templates if you are newbie...
  9. No Profile Picture

Or try to learn a bit about PHP and MySQL, then split your site into modules like footer, menu or gadgets.
    Next you should write an easy formular "connected" to the database, that allows you to write new entries or to edit the existing.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo