1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

can't color layers

Hi
    I am new to illustrator (I have version 10). I create a layer with the layer pallete and then I double click its name, which brings up the options for that layer. I change the layers color to orange and hit OK. When I look at the layer it is white and I can see objects on layers below the 'colored' layer, it is like the 'colored' layer is transparent. What am I doing wrong please?
    thanks
    david
  3. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Have you ever seen the transparencies used for overhead projectors? Clear sheets of plastic that you can write on like a white board. That's how layers work in illustrator. They're blank, transparent containers that you can put objects on. The only effects they have on their contents is layer visibility, and stacking order (sent to back, send forward, etc.). The layer color option controls what color illustrator uses to draw the paths of objects when you're editing them. Make a circle, click on it, and notice the blue lines/squares. Now change the color of the layer and those blue pieces will change to the new color. When you deselect the circle, the path lines disappear. That's how your finished product will look.
    -james

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo