Results: Do you care about URL readability? 

Voters
6 You may not vote on this poll

• Yes. (It's part of any good site design.)
    100.00%
  • No. (It's not worth the extra work.)
    0%
  • No. (I haven't given much thought to this issue.)
    0%
  • Other. (Please explain in a comment.)
    0%
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Do you care about URL readability?

An interesting debate I would like to start is as a web designer, do you consider what users see in the URL of the website as part of your overall design process?

If end-users who are not designers are here too, join in on the debate and tell us if you enjoy seeing either a plain English URL in links, or a link with nothing that tells you of what your about to click? These links are normally seen in plain text emails, IM chats, text msgs, forum links, etc...

Here are some examples to get this started:

A readable URL: /televisions/Sony/BRAVIA-KDL32EX400
    A non-readable one: /Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889252083

Since I am very new in these forums, I cannot post full links.
    These links are examples of the same product on 2 different websites. The first link seems very obvious of what your about to see when you click the link, however the second link says absolutely nothing about what is on the other side. Although they display the same product.
  3. No Profile Picture

I guess it depends on how you want your site to be viewied. The majority of people looking for products will Search Engine your site and the link readability will not really make a difference if SEO and good back linking is being carried out. I would say the most important part is in having a Domain name which is short snappy and relevant more than the linking further on from this point. But I guess it depends on what you are aiming for.
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The "readability" of a URL has got nothing to do with a user, and everything to do with SEO.

Users will find your URL through a search engine or your sites navigation no matter what it is. What matters is that SE's can read the URL to know what it is. It's cleaner, more easily recognised and overall simple to do for the overall benefit, so if anyone isn't doing it, then they are doing it wrong.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ZonedHost
    ... The majority of people looking for products will Search Engine your site and the link readability will not really make a difference if SEO and good back linking is being carried out....
    URL's matter a great deal to search engines, although it's difficult because of algorithm secrecy to say exactly how much. We know from personal experience that friendly urls like /televisions/sony/n8e3123[...] will rank more highly than urls like /Product/Product.aspx?Item=n8e3123 for the term "television." We also know from Google's own website that it prefers links like the former as opposed to the latter.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kveroneau
    URL's matter a great deal to search engines, although it's difficult because of algorithm secrecy to say exactly how much. We know from personal experience that friendly urls like /televisions/sony/n8e3123[...] will rank more highly than urls like /Product/Product.aspx?Item=n8e3123 for the term "television." We also know from Google's own website that it prefers links like the former as opposed to the latter.
    What im saying is that the difference between SEO and backlinking in this context is that backlinking is probably more important
  11. No Profile Picture

I do care about URL readability because if URL is SEO friendly both traffic & Search Engine will like your URL. You will get more traffic & quick search engine ranking.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo