1. They're coming to take me away

Clean up directories

So I have taken over the web maintenance of a department at the university. This has gone through a TON of different people and I don't think it has been cleaned up, nor optimized in years. So there are residual files and folders throughout the root directory, extra pdfs, docs, jpgs, etc... and I want to go through and basically clean up as much as I can.

Is there a tool that would help me go through and eliminate files that are no longer being used?

Also, as there have been a number of people going through the site to make changes over the years, there are a lot of commented out sections. I would like to also go through and maybe have a report or something of all files with comments as well as what the comments are so I can go through and remove unneeded comments. (A lot of the comments are just of an article or such that was no longer needed, but the designer didn't delete the article, just commented it out..)

So trying to look for the most effective way to clean up the web directory. Overall, there is roughly 30 GB of files in the web directory, but it is mainly text and some pdfs and such, so I know there shouldn't be any more than maybe 1 or 2 GB worth of used files and folders.

Thanks for any information and assistance.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  3. They're coming to take me away

Figured it's almost been 2 months, so I'll bump this back up.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo