1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Connecting Joomla to Postgresql

Hi
    I am just installing Joomla 3.1.5 to the "JustHost" web-hosting company via Ssh to a CentOS/Redhat command-line. I'm more familiar with Debian commands but it's not all that different.

Part of the process is to create a Postgresql database but i am not sure how to go about it. What sort of connector, or which config files to edit to let Postgresql know where Joomla is or which Joomla files to edit so they know where the database is. Anyone with any clue?

Usually if i design a database it's because i have a table, or collection of tables or a clear idea of the sorts of data i want to store. So this idea doesn't make much sense to me. I'm hoping that by the end of the process it makes more sense or becomes obvious where i can just let go.
    Regards from
    Tom
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

After a 2-second google search...

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=707&t=761571
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    After a 2-second google search...

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=707&t=761571
    Hi
    Thanks for the swift answer but it seems to be covering Windows and Ampps rather than Lamp in CentOS.

The main problem with googling to find answers for this sort of thing is that as a non-expert it's difficult for me to figure out the best question to ask. Also when answers come back i have no way of filtering out the 'obviously moronic' ones or pure FUD from the genuinely helpful. It might only have taken a couple of seconds for an expert to figure out what to google for but even there the result didn't seem to factor in things i had clearly stated in the original question. So, there was even less chance of me getting to the right answer. I have been googling it (even using "duck duck go" rather than google quite often) but still not been making much headway. The link given in the previous answer was by far the closest i have got in days.

Regards from
    Tom
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

As far as the database goes, there's no difference between it being on Windows and Linux. All you need is an empty database, then you set up the connection details when you install Joomla and then Joomla populates the database when it installs (the wb installer, not just copying the files over). That's really all that you need to do. Maybe you're over-thinking this?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo