1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cost & Timeframe For Creating a Website

I am interested in building a website or having one built for me. I would like to know what kind of costs there are and what kind of timeframe there is for building a functioning beta site.

I would like to have a site that is comparable to a site like etsy.com, for example, in terms of complexity. I know some PHP and HTML and a little CSS, but not anywhere near enough to code an entire site. Are there any kind of customizeable turn-key solutions that would work? Any kind of backend software I should know about? Would it be possible for someone like myself to create this site or would I need to hire someone? How much would hiring someone cost and where would I find them?

Any comments are appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Ball park, rolling a fully custom E-Commerce store like that would usually run you $100k-$200k or more and take 9-18 months or more to complete.

If you build it on a turn-key solution like Magento you can usually cut that down to $25k-$75k and 3-9 months. The more you want to customize it the more it will cost of course.

Additionally, expect $250-$750 per month on average for hosting and maintenance of a major single-server e-commerce store.

Magento itself is free. If you didn't pay for any customization, you could get by with costs of just about $50-$100 / month with no upfront costs. I'd start there if I were you.

There are a lot of other options besides Magento too, it's just that Magento does the most out of the box (at the cost of poor performance and high complexity).

As a general rule of thumb, take any estimate for both cost and time you receive from someone and double it to arrive at a more accurate figure.

(All in USD)
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo