1. No Profile Picture
    Gone PHP Crazy
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Costing of a site to be re-designed

I have never done a re-design of an existing site so I am a bit confused on how should I charge my client for re-doing the site from the ground up.

My client has a designer who will hand me over the design of the web-site in photoshop type images. I have to then interpret the design and put the existing contents into the new design. Pages will remain html. My question is how should I charge the client for the work.

I have though about one idea: to check the file sizes of the existing pages and set up a ratio to calculate the amount of time to do the page. So pages with different sizes will take different times to complete. And then multiple the time taken by an hourly rate. Is this a good approach ? Any suggestions welcome.
    visit http://www.techsatcomputers.com
  3. No Profile Picture

hello;
    I have a company as well, designing company, so I put the prices really carfully, I gues it must be around 80-200 $
    It depends on the work you do...
    and its up to u
    salam...
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well. I think you need to define how much working time does it takes. So then you will be able to give a client a correct price.

Regards
    HostColor.com - Web Hosting ServicesDedicated Hosting - since 2000
    Data center: near Chicago; Network (AS46873): Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net
    24/7 Support: 1-888-222-1495; Skype: HostColor
  7. Über nübe

Is this a one-shot deal, where you re-design the site and walk away? Or are you offering a bank of hours for support calls after the site is up?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Gone PHP Crazy

No its not a one shot deal. I will have to cater for updates to the site on a monthly basis. But that will be a different quote all together.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

set an hourly rate that your comfortable with and go from there..

Best bet is to think back to other paid jobs/sites that you have done and work out your cost from there..

Factor in building the template, then set a time for markup ie: 30min per page. Define what a page is. Ie: 2 screens of vertical scroll. So say if any page goes 4 vertical scrolls, you charge the markup of that page as two pages..

Some will go under the limit and some over and the cost will be work out right about where you want it...

In the end it come comes down to experience,, so don't stress too much.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Gone PHP Crazy

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo