1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Creating a new website service

Hi! If I wanted to create a website service, like a very simple facebook, what steps would i take?

I would think: draw diagrams, make mockups, design css + html + database, program html + js + php, go live.

However, i see a lot of sites that are very similar, and they seem like they have a templated skeleton. For example, this forum is a replica of a longboarding forum i use (the style, the options, settings, layout, etc).
    Can i find templates like that online or something? Ive heard about CMS but idk if that's for blogs or if i can use that for something like a simple facebook service (per example).

so... if I wanted to create a website service, like a very simple facebook, what steps would i take (that would be easier than drawing diagrams, making mockups, designing css + html + database, programming html + js + php)?

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    buildmyweb.org
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

this forum uses vbulletin. a very popular and arguably the best community forum system out there. so it might bare some or lots of resemblance to many other forums using vbulletin.

sorry though, i dont know of anything packaged for social networking or media a-la facebook.
    Freelance Web Developer | Web Hosting |
    PHP Applications
    Web Development, Hosting, Graphic Design, SEO
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

For a "very simple facebook", have a look at Wordpress and BuddyPress. That's pretty much going to do the back-end stuff of what you want. As far as the design goes, that's up to you to figure out.

Comments on this post

• BuildMyWeb agrees

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo