1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Custom Condom Website

Hey All,

I thought this title might get everyones attention lol.

But its actually true. I just got a project where users will be able to upload images and actually have them custom printed onto condoms!!

Anyway my reason for posting is that I wanted to get opinions on the best technology for doing this and theres 2 parts.

The first is creating the actual design. If you look at most tshirt manufactures most seem to use flash for something similar but I have seen some written in javascript throughout my searches. Now I'm not a flash expert by any means but I have used it before and can probably pick it up again quick but I am more proficient with javascript and Jquery. The user must be able to upload pics and text onto a 3d condom and position them so that it will automatically convert correctly onto the manufacturers template for printing.

The second part is the store to purchase the things once the user is happy with the design. The client wants to use Magento's GO eccomerce system. I have never used this and have only used magento once before for a basic store. Would anyone recommend using this and can it even be done with the custom products that the user has designed? The user needs to be able to login and return to saved designs.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to think this over!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There's a market for condoms with images on them?

If you need to render the preview in 3D and allow for things like rotation then I would not use JavaScript. Some day JavaScript will be able to do this, but the features needed for it just aren't widely supported yet.

A hosted E-Commerce solution has massive benefits in terms of security. The downside is that your customization options are often very limited. You should contact Magento GO to determine whether they provide the level of customization that you would require (basically the ability to custom edit the PHP files).
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo