1. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Design versus development

Hi,
    I am confused - i do not see the clear cut between design and development.

Design is to me anything static in html where does Wordpress, joomla stand???

They do offer pre-made coding and i want to only modify the template... The guy i hire has to obviously know about asp/php stuff... Which guy do i need?
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yeah, there aren't always clear distinctions between the two. Many people have some skills in both areas.

Both designers and developers work with CMS, like Wordpress and Joomla.

You might need both a designer and a developer. It depends on what you want done and if you can find a single person who has all of the skills needed to accomplish it.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture

Web Designing v/s Web Development

Web design is the customer-facing part of the website. Web development is the back-end of the website, the programming and interactions on the pages. A web designer is concerned with how a site looks and how the customers interact with it. A web developer focuses on how a site works and how the customers get things done on it. Good web designers know how to put together the principles of design to create a site that looks great whereas web developers know how to program CGI and scripts like PHP. Designers understand about usability and how to create a site that customers want to navigate around in because itís so easy to do whether developers know about how web forms work and can keep a site running effectively.
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Web design is the customer-facing part of the website. Web development is the back-end of the website, the programming and interactions on the pages.
    That's way over-simplifying it. For one thing, there are front-end developers and back-end developers.

Designers understand about usability
    Unfortunately, there are plenty of web designers who apparently haven't studied usability. They often come from print design with minimal training in web design.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture

Joomla is easier to design but has bugs while Wordpress comes with cool themes but difficult configuration.
  11. No Profile Picture

design vs. development

In my opinion, they are different. Website design is to produce an interactive product for people to use; it can be pretty or ugly, but as far as my concern, the user-experience is the most important. So to design a website, you probably need to the targeting people, the functions in the website, the workflow and many more. Development is after that. Once all the development and tests are done, you can then ask page artists to design nice looking graphics, and ask a page engineer to cut the graphics into htmls. finally you transfer the code to the htmls.
  13. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Originally Posted by unni6849
    Web designing is primary whereas web development is a secondary process.
    Secondary? How? Are you saying one is less important than the other? A site is unlikely to be successful without both.

15. No Profile Picture

Web design is a form of electronic publishing and also known as web publishing as it includes best information.
    Web development refers to team work as it include web design, web content development, client liaison, client-side/server-side scripting, web server and network security configuration, and e-commerce development.
  17. No Profile Picture

Web design is the customer-facing part of the website. Web development is the back-end of the website, the programming and interactions on the pages.
  19. No Profile Picture

Web Design vs. Development

I think there are some really good points in this forum discussion. I have been a designer for the better part of 10 years. Over the course of the last 4 years I have begun really focusing on front end development and strict semantic coding standards. The original question was what is the difference between web design and web development...

My experience between the two - web design is the visual aesthetics of a web site or web application. Although this is not the only elements of design, these are perhaps the more notable. This includes things like layout, style sheets, graphics, etc. Development (front end) focus more on the dynamic interaction between user and the web process or application. However, about 4 years ago the shift went from web design and development to UI/UX or user interface/user experience. This was a way for corporations to try and get a hybrid position of designer and developer.

There is also a difference between front end and back end development. Front end development focus's on mostly what happens on the users side and front end browser interaction. Back end development consists of everything from dynamic server side scripting and coding to database management and architecture.

From my experience, there aren't a lot of people that are highly proficient at both design and development. The truth is, the positions in these fields are generally segmented between IT and Marketing. I have worked on both sides of the coin, and although I enjoy design, developers tend to make a bit $ depending on their skill set and programming language knowledge.

Hopefully that will provide a bit more detail...
  21. No Profile Picture

web design vs web development

web designing focuses on how a site looks means its user interface and web development focuses on how a site works.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Myself i do both but i would consider the designer to typically be more on the artistic side. Designing the layouts, colors, etc...

Usually the designers have more experience with graphics, html, and css.

Whereas a developer is more on the technical side where they make the website interactive by adding both client side scripting, and server-side scripting as well as setup the databases etc.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo