Thread: Dodgy Images

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dodgy Images

Hi

I've been having huge problems with images not displaying correctly.

On my site I have loads of images as does any site. They all work fine during testing. But now and then an image doesn't show properly, or overlaps text or something a totally ruins the page, if you press refresh, then it comes up fine.

Has anyone had any problem like this?

I'm using jpegs made with Adobe Image Ready and Photoshop if that sheds any light.

Thanks all
  3. Second highest poster :p
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I have had situations where pages don't render correctly on the first time displaying when they are using complex tables for their layout. Do you have fixed widths for the cells in the table? Photoshop quite often just makes the <td> tages without any widths in them which can create problems
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The tables are quite complex, yes, but most of the cells have defined dimensions.

One page for example, has a table with 100% width, split into 4 cells each 25% and an image is put into each cell with PHP, however, I have viewed this page with some of the graphics overlaping, and not due to large images, they were all the same size and fit after a refresh without any troble. It is in a whole complex of tables, but that's the basic template of the site and doesn't intrude into the contents of the page.

Is that the cure that you managed to find? to set the widths of coloums?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Problems like this are generally related to the browser rendering the table before all of the content has finished downloading. The browser is supposed to be smart enough to rerender the page if something is too big to fit into the table (on reason complex table based layouts can really slow down a page), but maybe your browser is getting overloaded/confused.

One thing you might try is to replace your percentage widths with absolute widths. This assumes your images have a set width and aren't stretching to fill the space. This will ensure that your layout grid is the correct size regardless of whether the content has finished downloading or not.
    -james

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo