#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    162
    Rep Power
    21

    Do i need to use flash or html?


    Hi guys,

    Can you please help me, I want to start off to make a website to design my own tv channels with menu list. I would like to make 6 rectangle boxes to allow me to use the keyboard arrows button to move up and down to mouseover on each box without using the mouse point, not sure if I would need textboxes. And I am not sure that if I would need to code html or flash development.

    The website I want to make like this:
    http://labs.worldtv.com/tv

    Can you please suggest me what development (html or flash) would be the best for me to make a website like the one I post the link on above?

    Any advice would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8,298
    Rep Power
    7170
    Flash will likely be phased out in the not so distant future, so going with HTML would definitely be your best bet.
    PHP FAQ

    Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    162
    Rep Power
    21
    thanks for your advice, Do you know what type of script that i should use like iframe as I want to stay in the same page without reloading the whole page and what script would let me to disable the mouse point like the website I linked that I could use the keyboard without the mouse??

    Do I need to use MooTools, javascript, css or html?
    Last edited by stephen100; February 28th, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
  6. #4
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    A Land Down Under
    Posts
    2,066
    Rep Power
    1990
    Originally Posted by stephen100
    I want to stay in the same page without reloading the whole page
    Use AJAX to load the content. Even using frames you're still loading an entire page of content. Just be aware that unless you have separate pages for everything your SEO will suffer badly because you have a single-page site.

    Originally Posted by stephen100
    what script would let me to disable the mouse point like the website I linked that I could use the keyboard without the mouse??
    Don't do that. Please. It's a website. It's supposed to work with mouse clicks. The only feasible reason for doing that is if it is only going to work as a touch-screen kiosk application. Having said that I do believe that you can have the keyboard navigation as well, but don't discount the mouse the way that site has. There's several JavaScript libraries that can catch keyboard events. I'd suggest looking at jQuery for a start as that's probably the most well-known and supported one at this point in time

    Just so you know, JavaScript, CSS and HTML are completely different things and you will need to know all of them and what each of them will do on your website.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8,298
    Rep Power
    7170
    You cannot disable the mouse pointer with JavaScript, CSS or HTML. Disabling the mouse is also a terrible idea from a usability standpoint (which is one reason why it's not possible).
    PHP FAQ

    Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    i think flash is good work so its done..
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    162
    Rep Power
    21
    Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    You cannot disable the mouse pointer with JavaScript, CSS or HTML. Disabling the mouse is also a terrible idea from a usability standpoint (which is one reason why it's not possible).
    no, i mean to disable the mouse cursor and use the keyboard to move on each box, is it possible to do that?
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    You must use flash for your website

    Comments on this post

    • Catacaustic disagrees : Wrong. There's no need at all for Flash on that site, or 99% of sites out there.
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8,298
    Rep Power
    7170
    You can use JavaScript to make the keyboard navigate between boxes.
    PHP FAQ

    Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  18. #10
  19. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    A Land Down Under
    Posts
    2,066
    Rep Power
    1990
    Originally Posted by stephen100
    no, i mean to disable the mouse cursor and use the keyboard to move on each box, is it possible to do that?
    * cough *

    Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    Don't do that. Please. It's a website. It's supposed to work with mouse clicks.
    Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Disabling the mouse is also a terrible idea from a usability standpoint
    So, don't do it. It's a terrible idea and extremely confusing. 90% of people that I know would never use that site because their mouse just disappears. People don't like surprises like that. The other 10% of people would see why it's happened, find out that the site has hidden the mouse and swallowed mouse click events, laugh at how childish that is, and then leave anyway.
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    162
    Rep Power
    21
    Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    You can use JavaScript to make the keyboard navigate between boxes.
    how do it work? can i disable mouse cursor?


    Originally Posted by TutorIndia
    You must use flash for your website
    how i can extract the data to input in flash and how i can move the boxes using with keyboard up, down, left and right arrow buttons?


    Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    * cough *





    So, don't do it. It's a terrible idea and extremely confusing. 90% of people that I know would never use that site because their mouse just disappears. People don't like surprises like that. The other 10% of people would see why it's happened, find out that the site has hidden the mouse and swallowed mouse click events, laugh at how childish that is, and then leave anyway.

    there is nothing to do with that, i'm making my own site without public view where i will be accessing to my own website via on a mini pc. I'm planning to make a epg website for my own personal use. why do you think they will laugh even they have no idea it is for my personal use only
  22. #12
  23. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    A Land Down Under
    Posts
    2,066
    Rep Power
    1990
    OK, as a purely personal system I can let it go.

    So, did you look at the different JavaScript libraries that were mentioned before in the thread? jQuery, MooTools... There's a whole lot more, but like I said in my first reply I'd start off looking at jQuery because it can do what you want it to and it's got the most support behind it. Just link up the keyboard events with what you want them to do.
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by stephen100
    how do it work? can i disable mouse cursor?




    how i can extract the data to input in flash and how i can move the boxes using with keyboard up, down, left and right arrow buttons?





    there is nothing to do with that, i'm making my own site without public view where i will be accessing to my own website via on a mini pc. I'm planning to make a epg website for my own personal use. why do you think they will laugh even they have no idea it is for my personal use only
  26. #14
  27. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    10,690
    Rep Power
    6351
    Closing this thread since it's a spam magnet.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

    "The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

    Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo