1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Would a gaming website without organization survive?

I have the base layout of a flash game website that I created in html. The problem is Im not making my own flash games...at least not yet. So I was going to gather every free downloadable game provided by other gaming sites and make a nice collection of games on mine until I could get a user submitted section or start making my own. The problem is the games provided by these sites are not organized by type (Action, adventure, etc..), so in order to store them in the correct category I would need to play each game, judge them on what type they are, then put them in the right category. So I was wondering if you think if the website would be worth it if I just put page after page of games but with no categorys? I have three options:

A) Play each game, add them as I go, will take long but would look better.
    B) Have all the games together, still made to look good but, with no categories.
    C) Scrap the idea because game websites are too competitive anyway, especially if not done right.
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You can't just take games from other sites. It's theft.
    You'd have to talk with the creators of the various games and get them to give/sell/whatever the game(s) to you for your site.

With that said, I personally would want to see categories. I'm not a big Flash game player, but I wouldn't want to have to wade through pages of Bejeweled and Breakout and Turret Defense clones to find a couple ones I actually care about playing. So (A): it's a higher-quality end result.

Or you could get creative and have the users tag/categorize the games. After a certain number of votes and a certain percentage lead over other tags/categories, the game gets filed away. Could make it even smarter and say that a game with 45% A, 35% B, and 20% C should be filed in A and cross-listed in B.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by requinix
    You can't just take games from other sites. It's theft.
    You'd have to talk with the creators of the various games and get them to give/sell/whatever the game(s) to you for your site.

With that said, I personally would want to see categories. I'm not a big Flash game player, but I wouldn't want to have to wade through pages of Bejeweled and Breakout and Turret Defense clones to find a couple ones I actually care about playing. So (A): it's a higher-quality end result.

Or you could get creative and have the users tag/categorize the games. After a certain number of votes and a certain percentage lead over other tags/categories, the game gets filed away. Could make it even smarter and say that a game with 45% A, 35% B, and 20% C should be filed in A and cross-listed in B.
    Im not just talking any game I want, Im talking sites like these http://www.flashgamesforyourwebsite.com/ have games you can embed on your site for free. Plus it has a link to their site on the game and I would link them at the bottom of the page.
    There are a few sites like that so I could have hundreds of games. That would get me started until I could get user uploads and such.
  7. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Then sure, have a list of everything bunched together. It won't have as much appeal as a site with the games categorized, but that's something you can address over time (so long as you're actively and noticeably working on it).

A few New and Exciting Features would help to draw attention away from the jumbled mess.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm leaning more to A. If you're planning on adding content from another place, atleast add some value in the categorization.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo