1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question

I'm looking for a good image editor to make graphics for mouseovers and the like...I'm working with Paint from Windows right now (ugh!). I've used JASC PaintShop Pro, and I really like it. I'm looking for something that will create graphics in jpg form, otherwise I lose color information when I save them.

Any recommendations would be welcome.
    Thanks
    Smitty
  3. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Thumbs up Ulead WebRazor Pro!

If you're looking for a Windows program, I've used WebRazor before and found it to be quite nice. They even have a free trial.
    Michael
  5. No Profile Picture

Smitty,

Why not just use the PSP you've been using?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

My assumption was that he hasn't been using it, but rather has used it at some time, doesn't have access to it now, and wants to gauge public opinion to see if he should continue using it or if there is something better (short of PhotoShop).
    Michael
  9. No Profile Picture

For starters, I'm a she...

I had a trial version of PSP...but it expired a long time ago and I haven't had the need until now to actually buy it. I just downloaded a trial version of WebRazor, looks pretty good but I'll have to get into it a little more. I'm not necessarily looking for a photo editor, just something to draw in but with better results than Paint

Smitty
  11. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

Talking *blush*

I guess I was making a subconscious association of Smitty with Smithers. ;-)

If you can afford it, and you are looking to use the program for drawing, I would highly recommend Adobe Illustrator. If you can get a student discount, I think it's only $99.

Michael
  13. No Profile Picture

<grin> No worries...often guys with the last name Smith are called Smitty too....

Thanks for the tip on Adobe. I'm 'evaluating' WebRazor right now, then maybe I'll take a look at Adobe. Unfortunatly I'm no longer a student and I'm also in Canada, so if I double that price that's probably what it is here! But if it's good I'm happy to spend the $$

Smitty
  15. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

:-) So, why are you called Smitty?

Adobe Illustrator is the "industry standard" when it comes to illustration software. At one point in time, it used to be Freehand. Freehand is still pretty decent (it's made by Macromedia), but it seems more people prefer Illustrator. Both are professional-level software applications.
    Michael
  17. No Profile Picture

I went to check out Illustrator...looks awesome (actually, anything Adobe looks pretty good compared to what I'm currently working with!), I'll download a trial version but that'll have to be overnight, I'm still living in the dark ages and running off of a 28.8K modem...<dreams of DSL running through my mind...>

What can I say? My dial up is free!

The name Smitty came from me walking into class one day in high school (long time ago! Well, at least it feels like it...) and someone said "Hi, Smitty"....it stuck.

Smitty
  19. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

That's a sticky nickname!

I have found that the amount of time I save in just casual day-to-day surfing has more than paid for the $1.55/day I spend on Internet access.

While you're at it, you might as well also try Freehand and decide for yourself.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/freehand/trial/
    Michael
  21. No Profile Picture

Well, now that my modem has been running overtime....

I've tried all three (not to great extent, mind you, but for what I'd need them for) and I think I like Freehand the best...granted, with the combination of all 3 I can see how one could do LOTS of neat stuff....

I think in the long run I may just have to break down and buy PSP, we'll see. Anyway, I'll play around with the 3 I have and see if I can make them do what I want....I'm still getting color loss (what is it with .jpg files that they don't like the color grey?) but I'll figure out a way around that!

Thanks for the tips!

See you on the flip side
    Smitty
  23. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

If you are getting color loss when converting from one format to JPG, then what you really need is Ulead's SmartSaver (I think it might be part of WebRazor). It lets you modify the very specific details about how to compress an image (when you have a JPG image, by definition it is compressed to some extent). Also, make sure you are displaying thousands (24 bit) of colors or better (32 bit) on your computer.
    Michael
  25. No Profile Picture

Cool, okay, it worked for a .gif but still not for .jpg - oh well, that's better than nothing!

Thanks
    Smitty
  27. No Profile Picture
    Seņor Member

Question What do you mean?

Were you able to find the JPG part of SmartSaver?
    Michael

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo