1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help with a lost website

I have a website with host gator and have been really happy with the help and support thus far. My mom has a website with dotster and she is unhappy with them. They actually had to erase all of her website information, or at least that is what she was told, although you can still search her website, she is unable to make any changes as she was told she has to redo the whole thing. When my computer was erased with my website on it, I was able to get my Dad to help me pull the website off the internet and get all my info back, my mom and dad arent together and dont like each other so that option is out of the question. How can I pull my moms existing website of the internet and put it back into her host or computer so she can change things and has access to it. Basically she cant add or change anything as it isnt in her host (dotster is her host) Any help would be much appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture

I forgot to mention that my mom was using front page 2003 and they told her it was outdated and that she would have to redo her webpage on something called Weibble (sorry if I misspelled this)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Are you still paying the old host? If yes and the website is still online, then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to connect to the host and download the files using something like FTP. Frontpage 2003 is old, and expecting a webhost to support it is not really reasonable. So while the connection with Frontpage may not work anymore, it should still be possible to access the files.

If all else fails, as long as the website is still accessible online you could create a copy of it (assuming all of the content is static HTML/JS/CSS). If the site is large it won't be very easy though.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Are you still paying the old host? If yes and the website is still online, then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to connect to the host and download the files using something like FTP. Frontpage 2003 is old, and expecting a webhost to support it is not really reasonable. So while the connection with Frontpage may not work anymore, it should still be possible to access the files.

If all else fails, as long as the website is still accessible online you could create a copy of it (assuming all of the content is static HTML/JS/CSS). If the site is large it won't be very easy though.
    Yes she is still paying the old host, the website isnt that large its about 6 pages that are mainly pictures. How would she go about copying the website? The website is still active and working online.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Virtually all shared web hosts will allow you to connect via FTP to download and manage your website's code. That is the best way to get a copy of it.
    PHP FAQ

Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Virtually all shared web hosts will allow you to connect via FTP to download and manage your website's code. That is the best way to get a copy of it.
    Once she has this code then what?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Well, that depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want to move to a different host, then after downloading the files you could upload them to the new host.

If you want to stay on the same host, you could modify the files and then use FTP to upload the changed files. I think frontpage will let you edit an HTML document on the disk, but won't automatically upload those changes.

If you want to switch to some other editor, contact the host and ask them for help with which ones are supported and how to get started with those.
    PHP FAQ

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo