1. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Importance Of PHP

Hii am new in web designing, i would like to know why now everyone suggest PHP as a good compatible language for the web designing and development, Why PHP language is rating high for web development, and what are the other languages that can be used for web development, I am familiar with html,javascript,.net programming like c#,asp.net.
    Can we develop website with c# language, i want to know why php are more in demand than c#, asp.net and other languages.
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm going to ignore the sweeping generalizations.

Originally Posted by brianwhitskey24
    i would like to know why now everyone suggest PHP as a good compatible language for the web designing and development
    The two most popular languages are PHP and *.NET. PHP can be run on every platform while .NET is primarily a Windows thing.
    Perl, Python, and practically every other language runs on practically every platform too, but they don't get as much love.

Why PHP language is rating high for web development
    Portable, relatively easy to learn, C-style syntax, feature-rich, large community base, in active development, extensible...

and what are the other languages that can be used for web development, I am familiar with html,javascript,.net programming like c#,asp.net.
    Every programming language can be used in web development, either tied in directly with a web server or served up through CGI.

Can we develop website with c# language
    Yes. My job is to do precisely that.

i want to know why php are more in demand than c#, asp.net and other languages.
    I wouldn't say it's in more demand. It depends, but I think they're both (PHP and .NET) about the same.
    Last edited by requinix; October 19th, 2011 at 12:29 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Thank you so much for the great information you have provided and clearing my doubts, and i have few more doubts to ask
    as you have said your work is to do precisely that, so do you develop website with c# language majorly, and what do you recommend if i want to become a good web developer and designer should i keep working on .net or should i learn php to better my skills in this field, i have no idea about php language.
  7. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

"Keep working"? Become very good at .NET (which includes web forms and MVC 2/3), besides programming in general, before you branch out into PHP. You could split your time between both but it'll take longer to be good at either than if you dedicated time to one or the other. Which may be acceptable for you.

And wait for more input before making decisions. I'm but one person with one opinion.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

PHP is easy to learn server side scripting language as well as it is an open source technology which is freely available. It is helpful to create dynamic website such as shopping cart, ecommerce website etc... PHP is supported in many open source CMS so if you have knowledge of PHP you can create website with different CMS like Joomla, Wordpress as well as with some ecommerce open source CMS like Magento, OsCommerce etc...
  11. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by bryanbell
    PHP is easy to learn server side scripting language as well as it is an open source technology which is freely available. It is helpful to create dynamic website such as shopping cart, ecommerce website etc... PHP is supported in many open source CMS so if you have knowledge of PHP you can create website with different CMS like Joomla, Wordpress as well as with some ecommerce open source CMS like Magento, OsCommerce etc...
    thanks bryanbell
  13. No Profile Picture

PHP is cheaper to host than .NET technologies, this is mainly due to the licensing costs of the Windows operating system required to host .NET applications. Technically you can now host .NET applications on Unix systems using Mono(an open source .NET built originally by Novell).

Because PHP is cheaper to host and has a lower cost of ownership, there is more demand for them in the public web development sector.

If you were to get into Sharepoint for example and were to develop internal corporate websites, then there will be demand for .NET programmers.

.NET is much more specialized and normally large corporations choose to develop their websites or internal sites using this technology. Web start-ups don't have the money to waste on extra licensing fees and therefore go with the cheaper alternative. Unix servers do not require as much CPU or RAM to host a PHP website using a standard Apache configuration. Look at the requirements for both PHP and .NET, you'll see the difference in cost for server hardware. If you were just starting a new web business, which one would you choose?

I never actually knew Sharepoint required what it does until I recently checked... My jaw literally dropped!
  15. No Profile Picture

PHP is a good language to learn and this is too useful and helpful for web designing and development.......This language is the essence of all the other languages like C , C++ and etc......

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo