1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question installing older browsers for testing

I finally managed to DL IE5.5, but now I can't get it to install. System says there's a newer version already installed (IE6). But I want to test my sites on older versions as well. Any workaround ideas? Thanks!
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Dual boot? You could load win98 or winME on your system as well, and run ie5.5 on it. I'm fairly certain there's no way around IE's version checking...

MSIE has historically been a real pain to have concurrent versions running. This isn't the case w/ other web browsers, such as older versions of Mozilla, Opera, Netscape, etc.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
    The Most Important Article You Can Read as a Developer
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks drgroove. I was hoping to install IE4 as well. Guess I'll start with the others.
  7. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

No prob.

The other option is to acquire a cheap-o used PC (like an old P2) and dual boot older winOSes on that ... that way, you're not (potentially) screwing up your main box. You can pick up older PC's on eBay for a couple hundred, sometimes cheaper. Just a thought.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
    The Most Important Article You Can Read as a Developer
  9. No Profile Picture

thanks. I thought about that. I actually have an older machine I could use, but I don't really have space for it. I have a partitioned hard drive on my main machine. Think I could get away with putting 4 and then 5 on the other partition?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Gone PHP Crazy

Try www.Browsercam.com you can check your pages for any browser and on different platforms. Only catch is its a trial and u need to have different email accounts to come back and register as a new user(unless you pay for it).
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks! This is certainly a fantastic stopgap. Anyone with their own domain can also use 'catchall' emails to set up new accounts. Each trial account is good for 8 hours. Paid accounts are $10/hour for up to 10 urls per hour, or $34.95/month. Good value, I'd say, if you don't have any other means for testing.

I still want my own versions, though...
  15. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

You could try a product like VMWare to run multiple OS's from the same partition. It's a bit pricey, but it's a very flexible solution.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo