1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

JustHost, 1-click Joomla install defaults to MySql

Hi
    How do i set-up a Postgresql database on a web-host, "JustHosts" so that my "1 click" install can pick up on that instead of it creating a MySql database instead?

My company (well, my boss's company (really a charity so i guess it's the trustee's rather than my boss's)) has just signed up for "JustHost"s hosting service and we want to use Joomla.

JustHosts are 1 of the few that allow Postgresql in 'my' country, which is one of the main reasons i chose them.
    Regards from
    Tom
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

1-click installers work using the default settings, so they'll most often use the standard database that's set up - in this case that means MySQL and not PostgreSQL.

If you want to use anything different then you'll have to do a manual installation.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi
    Ahh, i was getting the impression that if i already had relevant Postgresql database(s?) set-up then the "1-click" installer might pick-up on those.

Even if it doesn't, i kinda need a link to some advice on how to set-up a relevant database so that i can try to avoid "MySql" next time. (I'm also kinda hoping to migrate this one to Postgresql sometime in the future)
    Regards from
    Tom
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Tom6
    Hi
    Ahh, i was getting the impression that if i already had relevant Postgresql database(s?) set-up then the "1-click" installer might pick-up on those.

Even if it doesn't, i kinda need a link to some advice on how to set-up a relevant database so that i can try to avoid "MySql" next time. (I'm also kinda hoping to migrate this one to Postgresql sometime in the future)
    Regards from
    Tom
    Hi
    Hmmm, this whole way of setting up databases is weird.

For most databases i would set-up table-column headings such as; Name, address, whatever. Then each new 'person' would be a row. At least that's the way i visualise it.

This web-hosting service had a "wizard" that only wanted to know the name of the table as a whole and a user-name login. I don't know what they put into the database tables and i suspect that i don't "need to know".

Looking at the MySql ones their automated system seemed to set-up 2 databases although that could have been because my first attempt to set-up Joomla fell flat on it's face so i reinstalled [shrugs].

Now i just have to figure out if the web-hosts '1-click' Joomla installer can be made to point at my Postgresql databases.
    Regards from
    Tom
  9. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

This is the best advice that I can possibly give you at this stage:

Delete everything that you have now and learn how to do a manual installation of the software package.

There's many reasons for this. Firstly, you'll get to use the database that you want to, you'll be in charge of things rather then having the one-click installer install something that you're not 100% sure is correct (or often isn't the latest version leaving you open to security vulnerabilities) and you'll actually learn how ot do this so it won't be so hard next time you need to do the same thing.

Comments on this post

• Tom6 agrees : It's hard to give advice that is likely to be unpopular even if it is the best advice. Grrr, i can't give reputation points :(
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    This is the best advice that I can possibly give you at this stage:

Delete everything that you have now and learn how to do a manual installation of the software package.
    Hi
    Good advice but hard to take. I tried the 1-click a few times more. On JustHost they have some untick-boxes so that you can use a pre-made database rather than have them create a new one each time. The bad news is it doesn't seem to spot anything other than MySql ones. So, tomorrow i'm going to try the proper install.

BTW your advice did lead me to checking my installs on their site and all my previous efforts had been lurking there so i uninstalled all of them before trying the last round of test-drives.

So, thanks and regards from
    Tom
  13. No Profile Picture

Done :)

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    This is the best advice that I can possibly give you at this stage.
    Hi
    Done I've had a couple more bumps along the way but this thread is solved now!

Many thanks and regards from
    Tom

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo