1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What language best for new web app project?

Hey all,

A decade ago I was a Phd student programming in C++. Then my life took a different turn but now I'm back to programming (as a means to other goals though). But as my skills are dusty, I come here seeking for professional advice.

What I want is to program a web application able to handle at least 3 different languages. Key is that on one client side data needs to be entried and on another client side this data needs to be represented in charts and tables alike, based on the wishes of this side's user. This means the application needs to be modular and adaptable to the needs of both clients. A third aspect is that the data needs to be interpreted by the application so that it can make certain recommendations based on the collected data. Last but not least, the application must run on several platforms, mainly Windows, Mac OS and Android.

So my question is what programming language is the best candidate to acomplish this goal? And what are the best books/resources to master that language ASAP?

Thanks for reading and any recommendation made.

Regards
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Are you wanting to put together a web-based application (a website) or an OS-based application (like an iPhone app)?

If you're going web-based, most of the normal server-side languages like PHP, Python and Java will do the job so it depends on what you want to use the most, and what your chosen server platform will run.

If you're looking at an OS-based app, then you will most likely need to learn a few. I know that the Apple platform is different to Andriod, etc, etc, etc... so while a lot of the code can be re-used, there's going to be a lot of playing around with different SDK's to get the app working the same way on multiple platforms.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey Catacaustic,

Definitely a web-based application. So instead of cross platform, I should have said cross browser...

PHP seems to be most straight forward choice if I look around a bit. What's are the main advantages of Python in comparison with PHP? Since the people that have to do the data input are located in development countries in South-America and Africa, their internet connection is slow and their computers outdated, so that side of the app must be as light and as quick as possible.
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I haven't used Python very much, but as far as I'm concerned with these things the only advantage that one language has over another is how well the programmer/s that will be writing it know the language. If you're learning yourself, then PHP will probably be easier to learn quickly because the basic coding structure is the same, where Python does change that a fair bit. Really, it's up to you to decide which one that you'd want to work with.

I will also add that neither of these will do anything to help load times for the data input staff. For that you need to make sure that you keep your HTML code as clean and minimal as possible.
  9. No Profile Picture

You're right, that's why I've been thinking it the following structure would not be better:

data-input application : plain HTML-forms , quick&easy
    data-review application: is basically data-driven dashboard tool. I've been recommended Flex as there are many free dashboard applications available and I would only need to adapt those to my needs...
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

I think this information can be useful for you. If you plan to get your website, here is one good free web hosting provider to choose.

They provide hosting absolutely free, there is no catch. You get 1500 MB of disk space and 100 GB bandwidth. They also have cPanel control panel which is amazing and easy to use website builder. Moreover, there is no any kind of advertising on your pages.

If you are interested you can PM me.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo