Thread: E-mail Scripts

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

E-mail Scripts

Hi, someone gave me project to work on and I kinda have to hit the ground running. My question is if I have a form on a webpage, how easy is it to change it to an e-mail form? Can I do this in HTML? It already has the text boxes and everything. Is there a command that I can use in the Submit button?
  3. Senior Polecat
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ok,

first off this has already been answered in here a couple of times but, cos i'm feeling nice i'll run you through it again.

There are two ways you can create an email form.

First, easiest and least reliable is the pure HTML version. To do this you just need to add mailto:youremailladdress@servername.com as the target of the Form and set the mode to POST.

The only problem is that this will try and use the clients default mail client to send the mail - ie. Outlook or Eudora or similar. I don't use one so these forms (and mailto links in general) are pretty useless on my system. But its quick to implement.

The second way of doing it uses server side scripting. For EVERY Server Side language there is some form of sending email. This is all done on the server and so the client side setup doesn't matter.

You can find examples of SendMail scripts on all sorts of script sites. Just pick one that matches the setup of your server (PHP, ASP or whatever) and follow the setup instructions and away you go!

Icy
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

http://www.XSet.co.uk

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo