1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Membership Site - Help

Hi!

I have thoughts about starting up an internet business. I would like to create a membership site around my interest. The problem is that i'm not so good at the technical parts and wondering how much time it requires to learn the programming languages to setup a website where I can accept monthly payments for members. The content is not a problem, but I don't really know where to start. I would like to create something similar to brainvale, sixpackshortcuts or universityofmakeup. But I would not want one time payment, a monthly subscription.

Could anyone give some advice how I can start? or does it cost much to hire a professional programmer to setup a site similar to these membership sites above?

Regards, May Reich
  3. The Queen of Typos
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hello there,

I would look into a content management system (CMS). There are many excellent, open source solutions available.

Joomla http://www.joomla.org

Wordpress http://www.wordpress.org

I recommend the 2 I have listed above. They are both open-source, and have a large community available to help you. Each have a templating system with which you can pick a template and set it up with little to no programming knowledge. They each also support a wide variety of plugins that would work for your use.

The main difference is that Wordpress is typically used for blogging (although it is still an excellent CMS) and Joomla is more used for typical CMS type content.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for the answer. I will take a closer look at Joomla and Wordpress. It seems quite complicated, but atleast it doesn't seems to require some programming knowledge, that's a good thing for me!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo