Thread: MP4 Files in IE

1. No Profile Picture
    Loves Diesel Generators
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

MP4 Files in IE

Hi all,

I am having a problem with some MP4 files in IE9. I want to play some video using the video tag and from reading around I need the file in mp4 with the h264 encoding.

I have made a very small one to try and diagnose the problem.

Its here. Its really just a small video of one of our products; just 1 second long.

It plays in other players no problem.

I have now made a webpage with two file with .mp4 extensions.

Please see here:

http://www.wellandpower.net/index.php?help=1

It has the two files side by side. Both have identical codecs; both are MP4's; both are returning type video/mp4 from the server.

Has anyone any idea why one will play (1 second) and one won't play (20 seconds) in IE9?

TIA
    Last edited by wellandpower; April 15th, 2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Better explanation; removed rubbish; added links.
    If I helped you by some stroke of luck, please add to my reputation by clicking on the icon at the top of my post!
    Perkins Diesel Generators Volvo Diesel Generators xxl.me.uk (my Site)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Loves Diesel Generators

Incorrect Info
    Last edited by wellandpower; April 15th, 2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Incorrect reply, problem was not fixed as thought.
    If I helped you by some stroke of luck, please add to my reputation by clicking on the icon at the top of my post!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Loves Diesel Generators

post incorrect, original post now updated.
    Last edited by wellandpower; April 15th, 2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: post was nonsense!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Loves Diesel Generators

Sorry for all these posts and changes! Its been a whole day almost sorting this mystery out!

The difference I have found; it comes from the way apache was serving the files.

The solution was to DISABLE GZIP compression for MP4 files, IE9 doesn't like it. Maybe a Guru can confirm better if that is a IE9 bug or something that is our fault.

I guess this might apply to other media files as well.....!?

Comments on this post

• Kravvitz agrees : Congrats on finding the solution and thanks for posting it.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Loves Diesel Generators

As an addition i can confirm that Opera will not play the video if compressed server side by apache.

So it seems it may be most browsers with this issue.
  11. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Ah. Congratulations on figuring that out and thanks for posting it.

Video files are already compressed (transmitting uncompressed video across the Internet is impractical), so it definitely makes sense if browsers won't play them if they've been compressed a second time. The point of configuring GZIP to automatically compress files is to reduce the number of bytes needed to transmit files which can be edited by hand in a text editor. It's a good rule of thumb to disable GZIP for "video/*" and "audio/*" files.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo