1. dont click here
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Object Oriented Web Development

With the exception of Beans with JSP/Servlets

i see no use of OOP in web developement.. im sure there is its just past my eyes.. can some people give me examples of when this is usefull.

Using a DB Backend seems to hold all possible data.

also if u make an object is it possible to pass it along through sessions?

if there is an article on this i would be interested in reading thanx

-shocka
    quick fixs are never solutions
    Ritesh's Corner
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The value of object oriented programming becomes apparent to you as the scope of the projects you manage increase.

For instance, I would be willing to bet that you currently only manage one small or medium website. Correct?

Currently I work for a non-profit, where we are directly responsible for the management of 11 websites; additionally, we create web-based administration tools and applications for other non-profits who host their websites on our servers, as an added-value feature.

Under this scenario, we could not offer this kind of value-added service, nor could we manage this many websites internally were it not for the object-oriented programming features available in PHP.

The scope of the projects we manage demands that the application functionality I develop be made available to several websites simultaneously, and that the functionality of those applications remain entirely separate from the layout of the website itself. Only through OOP can this be achieved in so concise and clear a fashion.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

*cough*CPAN*cough*
  7. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally posted by dotcomguy
    *cough*CPAN*cough*
    lol... totally!

If you're using Perl, you should be using CPAN. If you're using PHP, the (up and coming) equivalent is PEAR, though (from what I understand) PEAR does not (yet) have all of the functionality available in CPAN.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo