August 23rd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Online Curriculum Library- Looking for Suggestions
I just discovered this forum and am very please with the information on here . Anyways....
I'm in charge of getting the ball rolling for an Online Curriculum library for teachers in my area. This project will have a budget of between 5k-7k (all expenses included). We will be hiring a developer to do most of the technical work.
The purpose of the website is as follows...
The goal of the repository is to provide teachers with an online environment to: (1) discover and download teacher-authored curriculum, (2) upload their curriculum, and (3) connect with other teachers and support staff through a community portal, and (4) store a teacher’s favorite resources in their “my folder”.
We'd like to create an exclusive (We have a program they must go through to get access to the site) and very social community for teachers which is all about creative exchange of teacher materials. We'd also like a very image oriented, flashy, and creative layout (I.e. "behance".net).
To summarize the technical requirements...
- Searchable / Sortable (And Visually appealing) library of teachers submitted curriculum
- An extensive user account system (Which must be approved, is social with other user accounts, can store "favorites" on the site ect.)
- A custom form system for submitting curriculum content
My question for your community is what are your recommendations on how to get this accomplished? I've create a few basic websites (Wordpress mostly) but never a fully funded project such as this.
I'm looking for recommendations on...
- Existing systems to use as a starting point? (I.e. using a CMS program like wordpress, a LMS program like Moodle, or just create our own?)
- Who should I look for to do this? (Should it be a firm or a single freelance professional? Should it be local or does that not particularly matter? Any recommendations?)
- Is our price range realistic for what we are looking for?
Also I'd love to hear any other recommendations or comments that you may have!